Relation in Sequence Homework: H.P. and A.P. Equations

In summary, if a, b, c, d are positive real numbers and are in harmonic progression, then the following statements are true: 1. a + d > b + c2. a + c > b + d3. a + b > c + d4. a - b > c - d
Raghav Gupta

Homework Statement

If a,b,c,d ∈R+ and a,b,c,d are in H.P. Then
1. a+ d > b+ c
2. a+ c > b+ d
3. a + b > c+d
4. a-b > c-d

Homework Equations

Don't know which equation to apply

The Attempt at a Solution

1/a, 1/b , 1/c and 1/d would be in A. P
1/b -1/a = 1/d - 1/c

Physics news on Phys.org
HP is for horsepower, but what is AP ? :smile:

Likes SammyS
BvU said:
Kidding with me in a maths forum thread. HaHa.
H.P is Harmonic progression and A.P is arithmetic progression.

Good. We have established that. What is the problem statement ? Do you have to pick all the statements that are correct, the one and only unique statement that is correct, or perhaps "mark the ones that are not correct"?

But more generally I would investigate the statements using the definition.

BvU said:
Good. We have established that. What is the problem statement ? Do you have to pick all the statements that are correct, the one and only unique statement that is correct, or perhaps "mark the ones that are not correct"?But more generally I would investigate the statements using the definition.
The problem statement is in post 1.
There is only one unique statement that should be correct.
When I take random values using definition all statements are coming correct.

Raghav Gupta said:
The problem statement is in post 1.
If the complete problem statement had been in the first post, BvU would not have had to ask these questions.
BvU said:
What is the problem statement ? Do you have to pick all the statements that are correct, the one and only unique statement that is correct, or perhaps "mark the ones that are not correct"?

Well, that excludes 1. and 4. because if I add b+d on both sides of 4. I get 1. !

And if I take a,b,c,d = 1/1, 1/0.79, 1/0.58, 1/.37 then 2. and 3. are false !

Likes Raghav Gupta
Mark44 said:
If the complete problem statement had been in the first post, BvU would not have had to ask these questions.
So what more info should I give?
Only that much is given in the question of my paper.
And I have told already that there is only one option correct.

Raghav Gupta said:
So what more info should I give?
Only that much is given in the question of my paper.
And I have told already that there is only one option correct.

What people are trying to get you to understand is that---whenever possible---you should state this as part of the initial message, rather than finally revealing it several messages later in the thread.

Notice that I said "whenever possible", and that means "if you know it yourself for sure". If somebody gives you an incompletely-stated problem, then, of course, you may not be able to state it properly right away. (That was apparently the case with one of your recent "locus" problems, where you were given a problem having a "typo" in it.)

BvU said:
Well, that excludes 1. and 4. because if I add b+d on both sides of 4. I get 1. !

And if I take a,b,c,d = 1/1, 1/0.79, 1/0.58, 1/.37 then 2. and 3. are false !
What you are saying is true.
Alas! An Another question wrong or misprinted from my paper.

Ray Vickson said:
What people are trying to get you to understand is that---whenever possible---you should state this as part of the initial message, rather than finally revealing it several messages later in the thread.

Notice that I said "whenever possible", and that means "if you know it yourself for sure". If somebody gives you an incompletely-stated problem, then, of course, you may not be able to state it properly right away. (That was apparently the case with one of your recent "locus" problems, where you were given a problem having a "typo" in it.)
But why it was not asked from other posters in other threads, that whether one option is correct or more?
Well if one or more options are correct we can definitely discuss that.

Should I specify more things when I type a question like, what is the name of examination and what is the level of it?

I don't know whether it was for joke or serious matter that what is the full form of H.P and A.P.
I think in maths forums one should know that.
Numbers being in horsepower, does not make sense.

No, that horsepower was just ironic. But you really can't expect that all abbreviations are known to everybody. And I really didn't know the terms. It's a math forum under the PF wings, Something like HP or AP can't be googled either. And nevertheless, in this case I was imho (:smile:) able to provide sensible assistance even so.

If I were you, I wouldn't worry. You do your best to state a clear and complete problem, we do our best to help, and we ask if we are in doubt.

Likes Raghav Gupta
Aside from the multiple choice character of this exercise and the confusion that 1 and 4 are equivalent: can you show (prove) that 1 and 4 are correct when you start from the definition of a harmonic progression ?

The given information that ##a,\ b,\ c,\ d \in R^+## is necessary here (otherwise the first wikipedia example is already a counterexample).

BvU said:
The given information that ##a,\ b,\ c,\ d \in R^+## is necessary here (otherwise the first wikipedia example is already a counterexample).
I think you mean the second example in wikipedia
BvU said:
Aside from the multiple choice character of this exercise and the confusion that 1 and 4 are equivalent: can you show (prove) that 1 and 4 are correct when you start from the definition of a harmonic progression ?
No, I am not able to bring the inequality sign.
Getting 1/b - 1/a = 1/d - 1/c

Sorry, yes, second example (has = instead of >).

My interpretation of the definition is that we can write a, b, c, d as $$
{1\over x},\ {1\over x + y},\ {1\over x+2y},\ {1\over x+3y} $$ so that a + d and b + c become $$
{1\over x} + {1\over x+3y} \quad {\rm and} \quad {1\over x + y} + {1\over x+2y} $$
and when I work these out I get the same numerators and the denominator in the second one is a little different from the denominator in a+d

Likes Raghav Gupta
BvU said:
Advanced Placement :smile:
Everybody knows that!

BvU said:
Sorry, yes, second example (has = instead of >).

My interpretation of the definition is that we can write a, b, c, d as $$
{1\over x},\ {1\over x + y},\ {1\over x+2y},\ {1\over x+3y} $$ so that a + d and b + c become $$
{1\over x} + {1\over x+3y} \quad {\rm and} \quad {1\over x + y} + {1\over x+2y} $$
and when I work these out I get the same numerators and the denominator in the second one is a little different from the denominator in a+d
Thanks, since x, x+y, x+2y , x + 3y are positive we will get a bigger denominator in b + c ( I studying the basics, eh? )

Means a+ d > b+ c
Obviously then on rearranging,
a - b > c - d

Mark44 said:
Advanced Placement :smile:
Everybody knows that!
Sorry, but I do not know that.:smile:
But I know now.

Yes. The difference in the denominators is a mere 2y2, which is positive. (Note that y itself may well be negative). And we need the fact that all a, b, c, d are > 0 to establish the > sign in statements 1 and 4.

Likes Raghav Gupta

Related to Relation in Sequence Homework: H.P. and A.P. Equations

1. What is the difference between H.P. and A.P. equations?

H.P. stands for harmonic progression, while A.P. stands for arithmetic progression. In H.P. equations, the reciprocals of the terms form an arithmetic progression, while in A.P. equations, the terms themselves form an arithmetic progression.

2. How can I identify if a given sequence is in H.P. or A.P.?

To identify if a sequence is in H.P. or A.P., you can check the difference between consecutive terms. If the difference is constant, the sequence is in A.P. If the difference between the reciprocals of consecutive terms is constant, the sequence is in H.P.

3. What is the formula for finding the nth term of an H.P. sequence?

The formula for finding the nth term of an H.P. sequence is: an = 1/(a + (n-1)d), where a is the first term and d is the common difference between the reciprocals of consecutive terms.

4. Can an H.P. sequence have negative terms?

Yes, an H.P. sequence can have negative terms. In H.P., the sign of the terms does not affect the progression, as long as the reciprocals of the terms form an arithmetic progression.

5. How is the sum of an H.P. sequence calculated?

The sum of an H.P. sequence can be calculated using the formula: Sn = n/((a+d)(1-(1+n)d)). Here, Sn represents the sum of the first n terms, a is the first term, and d is the common difference between the reciprocals of consecutive terms.