Relation between spacetime distortion and light

In summary, the question is if a induced change in light velocity, could cause a distortion in spacetime and generate a gravity field.
Uchida
Recently, I was thinking about the nature of reciprocity in some cases of natural phenomenon, for example, Newtons Thrid Law of Motion, or, Faraday's Law of Induction.

Considering that spacetime distortion, due to a gravity field, leads to a change in the light path, or, a change in light velocity, when observed from a region with diferent spacetime metric.

Would a induced change in light velocity, induce a distorion in spacetime (to keep c constant at local reference), thus, generating gravity?

And, let's consider that the propagation of the light (in vacuum) would be distorted (or have its apparent velocity changed) by some hypothetical advanced technology.

It's the opposite direction of:
Mass > Gravity > Spacetime distortion > Light distortion.
Where, a induced light distortion would create:
Light distortion > Spacetime distortion > Gravity

Note that the spacetime warp would happen because c must be constant.

Is this idea consistent? Is there any current model describing this?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Uchida said:
Would a induced change in light velocity...
How would you induce a change in the velocity of light? In what sense do you even MEAN a change in the velocity of light?

phinds said:
How would you induce a change in the velocity of light? In what sense do you even MEAN a change in the velocity of light?

Uchida said:
And, let's consider that the propagation of the light (in vacuum) would be distorted (or have its apparent velocity changed) by some hypothetical advanced technology.

I do not know, hence the "hypothetical advanced technology".. Like a closed system, or a "dark box" filled with vacuum, that somehow manages to change the apparent c for a observer outside the "dark box".

Curved_in_3D_zps8bpb6apm.jpg

learning-the-grid-method_zpsdnu6hlwg.png

Look at the image above, and consider that you, as a observer, is sitting outside the compressed spacetime region, you would notice the light moving slower inside that region, but, since the light is propagating in a space region where the metric is smaller, c would still be 299,798,452 m/s. In the sense that for an observer inside the compressed spacetime region, the velocity of the light would be normal.

The question here is, since gravity (spacetime distortion) cause light to warp, would a warped light (due to a hypotetical, and very advanced device) cause the spacetime to warp, and generate a gravity field?

Maybe this is too much of a philosofical question rather than only an physical one. But hey, philosophy and science is quite the same, depending on your perspective ;)

I'm asking this, to get answers from other people, that may have a different understanding, from a different perspective.

And maybe, start to develop a mathematical model for this.

( sorry, my english is very bad :/ )

Uchida said:
would a warped light (due to a hypotetical, and very advanced device) ... ?
You are asking "if the laws of physics do not apply, what would the laws of physics say about <insert nonsense of your choice". Do you see how that is not going to work?

phinds said:
You are asking "if the laws of physics do not apply, what would the laws of physics say about <insert nonsense of your choice". Do you see how that is not going to work?

phinds, thank you for your answers.

Laws of physics cannot be considered as absolute truth, since it's just a mathematical model and a logic way of abstracting some phenomena. It is still truth, but not the absolute thuth, can you understand this? (and yet, it is thuth only until it is proved wrong or incomplete)

What I'm asking is very theoretical, that is why I've posted here in the Beyond the Standart Model section.

I cannot prove you that light propagation can be warped, thus, warping spacetime (yet, we know that spacetime can be warped, thus, warping light). Can you prove me that it cannot? If yes, please, do it.

... Well, think in a device that can change the energy density of the vacuum, or the electric permissivity and magnetic permeability (the elastic constants of spacetime that defines c), please, prove that it cannot be done.

I am not saying that what I said is true, I cannot confirm if my statement is true or false, it is false, prove it.

Remember, "Beyond the Standart Model", "Theoretical Physics", everything is possible, until proven wrong.

Uchida said:
Remember, "Beyond the Standart Model", "Theoretical Physics", everything is possible, until proven wrong.
Yes, I understand your point, but "beyond the standard model" on this forum, is not intended to include speculation that is outside mainstream media. You need to read the forum rules. Failure to do so risks getting warned by a moderator.

All threads in this forum are intended for discussion of the scientific content of well-researched models of physics beyond the Standard Model that have been published in peer-reviewed journals.

If you wish to speculate beyond peer-reviewed physics, there are forums on the internet where you can do so but this isn't one of them.

Oh, I'm very sorry for that. I got it wrong.

I think this topic needs to be closed.

Thank you for warning me about this.

Uchida said:

No problem. This is a great forum but it's for main-stream physics.

Likes Uchida
Uchida said:

No worries. If you feel like discussing mainstream science, feel free to stick around. If not, there are other places online that would be happy to have you, as Phind's mentioned.

Thread locked.

Likes Uchida

Related to Relation between spacetime distortion and light

What is the relation between spacetime distortion and light?

The relation between spacetime distortion and light is explained by Einstein's theory of general relativity. According to this theory, massive objects such as planets and stars create a distortion in the fabric of spacetime. This distortion is what we perceive as gravity. Light, which travels through spacetime, follows the curvature of this distortion, causing it to bend or appear to be affected by the gravitational pull of these massive objects.

How does spacetime distortion affect light?

Spacetime distortion affects light in several ways. The first is gravitational lensing, where the path of light is bent by the gravitational pull of a massive object, causing it to appear distorted or even creating multiple images of the same object. The second is gravitational redshift, where the wavelength of light is stretched as it travels through a gravitational field, causing it to appear redder. Lastly, time dilation can also occur, where the passage of time for an observer near a massive object is slowed down, causing light to appear to be moving slower.

Can light create spacetime distortion?

Light itself does not create spacetime distortion. However, light does have energy and mass, and according to Einstein's equation E=mc^2, anything with energy or mass can create spacetime distortion. This means that light can contribute to the distortion of spacetime, but it is not solely responsible for it.

Is the speed of light affected by spacetime distortion?

According to Einstein's theory of relativity, the speed of light is constant and unaffected by spacetime distortion. This means that no matter how strong the gravitational field is, light will always travel at the speed of light. However, the path of light may appear to be curved or bent due to the distortion of spacetime.

What are the implications of understanding the relation between spacetime distortion and light?

Understanding the relation between spacetime distortion and light has significant implications in our understanding of the universe. It allows us to explain and predict the behavior of objects in the presence of massive bodies, such as the orbits of planets around stars. It also plays a crucial role in modern technologies, such as GPS systems, which use the precise measurements of time and the effects of spacetime distortion to accurately determine locations on Earth. Additionally, it has led to advancements in our understanding of the formation and evolution of the universe, as well as the search for gravitational waves, which are ripples in the fabric of spacetime caused by the movement of massive objects.