Relation between s=d/t and length contraction ?

In summary, the conversation discusses two different methods for finding the length of a vessel moving at 0.86c relative to the observer. The first method uses the length contraction formula and yields an approximate length of 8.16m. The second method uses the time dilation formula and considers the reference frames of both the particle and the observer, ultimately resulting in a length of 8.15m. However, the reliability and validity of this second method is questioned due to the lack of clear definitions and consideration of the relativity of simultaneity.
Frank_Mennella

Homework Statement

A 16m long vessel moved passed you at a relative speed of 0.86c. What was the length of the vessel recorded by your measuring device?

Homework Equations

Speed = distance/time
t=to/√1-v2/c2
L=Lo⋅√1-v2/c2

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok, so I can just sub the 16m and 0.86c in the length contraction formula and get L≈8.16m

However, I wasn't aware of the length contraction formula, but only of the time dilation formula, which I used (with s=d/t) to find my answer:

So,
t= d/s
t= 16/(0.86 x 3 x108)
t=6.2x10-8
Therefore, we know the time it takes the particle to travel the distance, (reference frame of the particle)
We can use the time dilation formula to find to (reference frame of stationary observant)

6.2x10-8=to/√1-(0.86x3x108)2/(3x108)2

to=6.2x10-8⋅√1-(0.86x3x108)2/(3x108)2

to=3.16x10-8 This is the time it takes the particle to travel the distance at the reference frame of a stationary observant.

Therefore, to find the length of the vessel I use:
d= s⋅t
d= 0.86x3x108⋅3.16x10-8
d=8.15m (Remember that I have rounded up some numbers)

Is that a second way to find the answer? Does it make sense? Me and my professor were looking for an explanation and would like to know why does or doesn't this work.

Physics news on Phys.org
Frank_Mennella said:
Therefore, we know the time it takes the particle to travel the distance, (reference frame of the particle)
In the reference frame of the particle the particle does not travel at all.

You are throwing a lot of variable names around without clearly defining what any of them denote. That's a sure way to get into trouble with Special Relativity. And you've never once considered the relativity of simultaneity. That's an even more certain way to reason yourself into a paradox.

Related to Relation between s=d/t and length contraction ?

1. What is the equation for the relation between distance, time, and length contraction?

The equation for the relation between distance (d), time (t), and length contraction (s) is s=d/t. This equation is derived from the theory of special relativity and describes how the length of an object appears to change when it is moving at high speeds.

2. How does the speed of an object affect the length contraction?

The speed of an object directly affects the amount of length contraction that occurs. According to the equation s=d/t, as the speed (t) increases, the distance (d) decreases. This means that the length of an object will appear to contract as it moves at higher speeds.

3. Is length contraction a real physical phenomenon?

Yes, length contraction is a real physical phenomenon that has been observed and confirmed through experiments and observations. It is a consequence of the theory of special relativity and is an essential component of our understanding of the universe.

4. Can length contraction be observed in everyday life?

No, length contraction can only be observed at extremely high speeds, close to the speed of light. In everyday life, objects are not moving at speeds fast enough to experience significant length contraction. However, it can be observed in particle accelerators and other high-speed experiments.

5. How does length contraction relate to time dilation?

Length contraction and time dilation are two consequences of the theory of special relativity that are closely related. As an object's speed increases, the time it experiences slows down (time dilation) and its length appears to contract (length contraction). These two phenomena are interconnected and are both necessary to reconcile the laws of physics with the constant speed of light.