Relation between Lie Algebras and Gauge Groups

In summary, the conversation was about the relationship between Lie algebras and Lie groups in the context of gauge theory. The Lie algebra, which is a vector space over a field with a binary operation, is used to analyze the local properties of the corresponding Lie group, while global properties are beyond its scope. In gauge theory, the Lie algebra remains the same while the rotations of the Lie group depend on the coordinates, resulting in a different operation that is no longer a symmetry. The tangent space of the Lie group at identity is equivalent to the Lie algebra, and the exponential can be used to expand the Lie group in a Taylor series, resulting in a field of matrices (generators). For a more advanced explanation, one can study group theory
YangMills
Alright, I understand that there are redundant degrees of freedom in the Lagrangian, and because transformations between these possible "gauges" can be parametrized by a continuous variable, we can form a Lie Group.

What I am not so firm upon is how Lie Algebras, specifically, the Lie Algebra of the group generators, relates to this. I understand that a Lie Algebra is basically a vector space over a field with a binary operation, but I don't see how this can be used to analyze the corresponding Lie group.

Essentially, how do we go from gauge group to gauge field?

Physics news on Phys.org
You want to look up the Baker-Campbell-Hausdorff (BCH) formula for the link between Lie algebras and their corresponding groups.

First I would like to mention that Lie groups appear as global symmetries as well as local gauge symmetries.

Look at ordinary rotations in R³; this symmetry group is called SO(3), which means the group elements are special orthogonal matrices, i.e. with det = 1. One can parameterize these rotations as follows

[tex]R(\theta_a) = e^{i\theta^aT^a}[/tex]

[tex]\theta_a[/tex] are three angles parameterizing the rotations
[tex]R(\theta_a)[/tex] is a 3*3 rotation matrix (don't confuse this with the Euler angles; they are related, but not the same)
[tex]T^a[/tex] are 3*3 matrices, the so-called generators of the group SO(3); at the same time they are the basis of the so(3) algebra (you know what an algebra is, I guess)

One can define the matrix exponential via a Taylor series; the first two ternms read

[tex]R(\theta_a) = 1 + i\theta^aT^a[/tex]

So the Lie algebra so(3) is something like the tangent space of Lie group at identity. This is possible for all Lie groups, not only for SO(3). Because a lot of calculations in the context of Lie groups and a lot of investigations regarding their properties can be done using the generators = using the Lie algebra the latter one is very important. Roughly speaking the local properties of the Lie group are fixed via the Lie algebra, whereas global properties are beyond the scope of the Lie algebra.

Last but not least: what are local gauge symmetries? SO(3) is the global symmetry group of an ordinary sphere S² embedded into R³. One can rotate the sphere as a whole and it will look exactly the same, regardless which rotations one uses.

Now think about the following possibility: for each point in 3-space (or for each point on the sphere S²) define an own set of rotation angles, which means the angles [tex]\theta_a[/tex] depend on the coordinates [tex]x_i[/tex] in 3-space

[tex]R(\theta_a) \to R(\theta_a(x_i))[/tex]

Of course this is no longer a symmetry of the sphere S² because it gets distorted. Two points on the the sphere (two vectors from the center to the two points) define a certain angle between them before the rotations; after the rotation the angle between these two vectors may have changed, so this new operation is not a symmetry operation any more.

In gauge theory one introduces a different object which is invariant under the local gauge symmetry; it's not simply the angle between two vectors. But note that the Lie algebra is still the same as the generators remain constant:

[tex]R(\theta_a(x_i)) = e^{i\theta^a(x_i)T^a}[/tex]

Last edited:
tom.stoer said:
[tex]R(\theta_a) = 1 + i\theta^aT^a[/tex]

So the Lie algebra so(3) is something like the tangent space of Lie group at identity.

Unfortunately I don't see how you reach that. I though tangent spaces were generalizations of the "tangent" (e.g. line, plane) to higher dimensions. So why are you adding operators?

I take the exponential and write down the first two terms of its (defining) Taylor series. Then I use the definition of an algebra: a vector space A with the additional property that you can define a multiplication * of elements x,y such that x*y lies in A.

As a basis of this vector space I use the (normalized) generators [tex]T^a[/tex] of the Lie algebra. I can add them (because they are matrices), I can multiply them (because they are matrices), and I can look at the properties of [tex]\theta^a T^a[/tex]; it is nothing else but a vector in A.

Because I used the Taylor expansion for [tex]\theta^a T^a[/tex] at [tex]\theta^a = 0[/tex] which corresponds to [tex]R = 1[/tex] I can say that this is something like an n-dim vector space.

That's because of the following: Each generator [tex]T^a[/tex]defines a one-parameter subgroup [tex]e^{isT^a} \sim 1 + isT^a[/tex]

Tangent vectors at the identity (i.e. for s=0) in the a-direction are defined via

[tex]\frac{d}{ds}\left(e^{isT^a}\right)_{s=0} \sim iT^a[/tex]

Last edited:
Ah, I get it now. Basically, we expand R about R(0) = 1 in the Taylor fashion, giving us a series of matrices (generators), which constitute a basis for a field. If we started with a gauge group, we now have a gauge field.

Thank you very much.

Last edited:
Your welcome.

One last remark: the mathematicians are able to prove this w/o using the exponential. But I think for a quick explanation it's much simpler.

Sorry that it's taken so long for me to get back. One last question:

Can you direct me to that more advanced explanation? It sounds interesting.

I suggest to study some scripts (or books) regarding group theory in physics. Here are some links; the website is in German, but many scripts are English; check the "Höhere Mathematik für Physiker" section

http://physik-skripte.de/#3

Related to Relation between Lie Algebras and Gauge Groups

1. What is the relationship between Lie algebras and gauge groups?

Lie algebras and gauge groups are closely related in the context of gauge theories, which describe the interactions between elementary particles in physics. Lie algebras are mathematical objects that describe the algebraic structure of a group, while gauge groups are the symmetry groups that govern the behavior of the particles. The Lie algebra of a gauge group describes the infinitesimal transformations of the group, which are essential in understanding the dynamics of gauge theories.

2. How do Lie algebras and gauge groups relate to the fundamental forces of nature?

In modern physics, the fundamental forces of nature (electromagnetism, weak nuclear, strong nuclear, and gravity) are described by gauge theories. Each force is associated with a specific gauge group, and the interactions between particles are mediated by the exchange of gauge bosons, which are related to the Lie algebra of the gauge group. This relationship between Lie algebras and gauge groups helps us understand the fundamental forces and their interactions.

3. Can all gauge theories be described using Lie algebras and gauge groups?

Yes, all gauge theories can be described using Lie algebras and gauge groups. This is because gauge theories are based on the concept of local symmetry, which is mathematically expressed through gauge groups. And as mentioned earlier, the Lie algebra of a gauge group captures the essential properties of the group, making it a crucial tool in understanding gauge theories.

4. How are Lie algebras and gauge groups used in particle physics?

Lie algebras and gauge groups are used extensively in particle physics to describe the interactions between elementary particles. The Standard Model of particle physics, which is the most successful theory in this field, is based on the symmetry group SU(3) × SU(2) × U(1), where the Lie algebras of these groups play a crucial role. Additionally, the concept of spontaneous symmetry breaking, which is essential in understanding the masses of particles, also relies on Lie algebras and gauge groups.

5. Are there any practical applications of understanding the relationship between Lie algebras and gauge groups?

Yes, there are several practical applications of understanding the relationship between Lie algebras and gauge groups. One example is in the field of quantum computing, where the use of Lie algebras and gauge groups has been proposed to solve certain computational problems. Additionally, the study of gauge theories and their underlying mathematical structures has led to advancements in other fields such as mathematics, computer science, and engineering.