Relating Values in Equations: Finding the Role of L

• Thread starter LCSphysicist
  • Start date
In summary: Alternatively, if the transmitting antenna is a ground mounted monopole, as used for Medium Wave broadcasting, the field will be twice as great for a given power. A convenient formula for the field at a distance of 4 miles from such an antenna is: E = 8P x (0.5πD²).
LCSphysicist
Homework Statement
A radio station AM transmit isotropically with a power avarage of 4kW. An dipole antenna of reception with 65cm of length is 4 miles away from the transmitter. Calculate the amplitude of the EMF induced by the signal between the ends of the antenna
Relevant Equations
I don't know how to relate the values given by the problem. I am trying to find something that relates these equations:
$$\epsilon = -d \phi_{B}/dt$$
$$\langle S \rangle = cB²/(2 \mu); (\vec J = 0)$$
$$\langle S \rangle = I = P_{pow}/A_{area}$$

But, i don't know where does the length of the antenna L comes in! Why is it important and where should i insert it? Please give me a tip.

Likes Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
Your first equation doesn't apply for this problem, you rather must use the equation $$\mathcal{E_0}=E_0l$$ where ##\mathcal{E_0}## the amplitude of the induced emf, ##E_0## the amplitude of the electric field, and ##l## the length of the antenna.
So towards finding the amplitude of the electric field ##E_0## at distance 4miles from the antenna, how would you proceed? Your 2nd and 3rd equation can help you get the amplitude of the magnetic field ##B_0## if you know what you doing...

Last edited:
Likes Steve4Physics, anuttarasammyak and alan123hk
Herculi said:
Homework Statement:: A radio station AM transmit isotropically with a power avarage of 4kW. An dipole antenna of reception with 65cm of length is 4 miles away from the transmitter. Calculate the amplitude of the EMF induced by the signal between the ends of the antenna
Relevant Equations:: .

I don't know how to relate the values given by the problem. I am trying to find something that relates these equations:

But, i don't know where does the length of the antenna L comes in! Why is it important and where should i insert it? Please give me a tip.
You need to know the frequency of the transmitted signal. If it's f = c/2L with L=65cm that makesit a "half-wavelength" antenna, an efficient receiver/transmitter. There are formulas available for this casein the literature. Roughly the emf is as posted by @Delta2.

Likes Delta2
rude man said:
You need to know the frequency of the transmitted signal. If it's f = c/2L with L=65cm that makesit a "half-wavelength" antenna, an efficient receiver/transmitter. There are formulas available for this casein the literature. Roughly the emf is as posted by @Delta2.
Yes I assumed that the frequency is such that we have a halfwave dipole antenna.

Herculi said:
Homework Statement:: A radio station AM transmit isotropically with a power avarage of 4kW. An dipole antenna of reception with 65cm of length is 4 miles away from the transmitter. Calculate the amplitude of the EMF induced by the signal between the ends of the antenna
Relevant Equations:: .

Let us assume that the ground plays no part in this (I can explain why if wanted).
Then the electric field (e) at a distance D metres from a dipole antenna radiating P watts is 7 (SQRT P) /D in Volts per metre.
If the antenna is isotropic, as in this case, we need to reduce the field by 2.1 dB, the gain of a dipole over isotropic. -2.1 dB is a voltage ratio of 0.62.
Having found the field strength at the receiver, we find the EMF, E, across the antenna terminals by using E = L x e.

The question is open to interpretation. We are specifically told 'AM' This suggests (to me, anyway) that the signal is in the AM brodacast band. That would mean the wavelength is typically 100m to 2000m. If that's the case, the antenna is very short compared to the wavelength; this could be intentional.

We are also not given a specific wavelngth or the orientation of the antenna. So unless @Herculi is on an anntenna design course then I'd guess @Delta's approach (Post #2) is what is needed,

Likes Delta2
tech99 said:
Let us assume that the ground plays no part in this (I can explain why if wanted).
Then the electric field (e) at a distance D metres from a dipole antenna radiating P watts is 7 (SQRT P) /D in Volts per metre.
If the antenna is isotropic, as in this case, we need to reduce the field by 2.1 dB, the gain of a dipole over isotropic. -2.1 dB is a voltage ratio of 0.62.
Having found the field strength at the receiver, we find the EMF, E, across the antenna terminals by using E = L x e.
Alternatively, if the transmitting antenna is a ground mounted monopole, as used for Medium Wave broadcasting, the field will be twice as great for a given power. A convenient formula for the received field in such a case is, e = 377 (SQRT p) / d, where d is in km and p is in kilowatts. In this case, e is in millivolts per metre.

Last edited:
tech99 said:
Alternatively, if the transmitting antenna is a ground mounted monopole, as used for Medium Wave broadcasting, the field will be twice as great for a given power. A convenient formula for the received field in such a case is, e = 377 (SQRT p) / d, where d is in km and p is in kilowatts.
Correction: 2.1 dB reduces the field by a factor of 0.78, apologies.

Steve4Physics said:
If that's the case, the antenna is very short compared to the wavelength; this could be intentional.
Ah yes I agree it must be intentional. If we use the definition of the EMF as the integral $$\int_C (\vec{E}+\vec{v}\times\vec{B})\cdot d\vec{l}$$ and we discard the term ##\vec{v}\times\vec{B}## which is the motional EMF, we simply left with $$\int_C \vec{E}\cdot d\vec{l}$$ which integral, if the wavelength of E is big in comparison with the length of the antenna and the antenna is oriented properly (aligned with the transmitting antenna), reduces to the simple formula ##|\vec{E}|l##.

Likes Steve4Physics
@tech99 it is not given if the transmitting antenna is a dipole or a grounded monopole but it is given that it transmits isotropic and I think the formulas given by the OP are sufficient to find ##E_0## and ##B_0##, no need to use specific formulas for dipole or monopole antennas.

Herculi said:
I think you should use the effective length of the antenna to find the open circuit voltage appearing on the antenna terminals.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antenna_aperture#Effective_length

I think that in general, multiplying the electric field strength by the physical length of the dipole antenna can already get a reasonable approximation, but if we want to look at it from another angle, the following calculation method is also worthy of reference (I hope I am not mistaken).

1628769990316.png

Likes Delta2

What is the role of L in equations?

The role of L in equations is to represent a variable or unknown value. It is often used to represent length, distance, or limit in mathematical equations.

How do you find the value of L in equations?

The value of L can be found by solving the equation for L. This typically involves isolating L on one side of the equation and simplifying the other side.

What does it mean to relate values in equations?

Relating values in equations means to understand the relationship between different variables or unknowns in an equation. This can help solve for one variable in terms of another or determine how changes in one variable affect the value of another.

Why is it important to consider the role of L in equations?

The role of L in equations is important because it allows us to solve for unknown values and understand the relationships between different variables. It also helps us to apply mathematical concepts to real-world situations.

How can I improve my understanding of relating values in equations?

To improve your understanding of relating values in equations, it is important to practice solving various equations and identifying the role of L in each one. You can also seek out additional resources, such as textbooks or online tutorials, to deepen your understanding of this concept.