Relating terminal velocity, force of friction.

In summary, the block slides down a surface at an angle of 30° to the horizontal at its terminal velocity of 5 m/s. The coefficient of kinetic friction of the surface is 1/√3.
bravoghost
I was working on problems for the MCAT and came across this below. After a few minutes working, I had couldn't come up with the solution. Usually the answer clears up any questions I have, but I'm having trouble figuring out how the force due to gravity matches the force of friction. I thought that the force of friction was something to subtract from the total force available for an object. I don't understand how the force due to gravity equals the force due to friction. How do those two relate? (I understand the mathematics behind it, I just don't understand the reasoning, so please don't just show a bunch of equations and conclude "Here: the math shows it."

Question:
A block slides down a surface at an angle of 30° to the horizontal at its terminal velocity of 5 m/s. If the block masses 12 kg, what is the coefficient of kinetic friction of the surface?

Answer: (B) =1/√3

Explanation: As the block travels down the incline at its terminal velocity, the force due to gravity matches the force of friction (hence terminal velocity). The equation, therefore, can be set up as μN = mg(sin θ) where N is the normal force and equal to mg(cos θ). Thus our equation is μmg(cos θ) = mg(sin θ). mg cancels on both sides leaving us with (sin θ)/(cos θ) = μ. Given the angle of 30°, we can calculate that μ = 1/√3 making (B) the correct answer.

Physics news on Phys.org
When something is moving at terminal velocity, then it is moving at a constant speed, which means that the forces balance so the friction has to balance gravity does't it? Either that or there's another force.

In situations such as air resistance, the friction depends on speed ... so it starts out too small to prevent acceleration so [itex]mg-\mu(v)N=ma[/itex] and increases until it is the same as gravity ... in which case you write [itex]mg-\mu(v_t) N = 0 \Rightarrow mg=\mu(v_t)N[/itex].

Last edited:
Fnet=ma
a=0 for teminal velocity.

Fg+(-Ffr)=0

Ffr is negative since it opposes the direction of the motion.

Clearly whoever made up the question wasn't a physicist though. Sliding friction is not typically dependent on movement speed, so the whole concept of terminal velocity is sort of silly. Someone could start that block moving at, say, 8 m/s and it would stay at that speed as well.

Simon Bridge! THANK YOU. That makes so much more sense knowing that the terminal velocity means that the acceleration has dropped to 0. It was that one little piece that made the difference. I got it now.

Related to Relating terminal velocity, force of friction.

1. How is terminal velocity related to the force of friction?

Terminal velocity and force of friction are related in that as an object falls through a fluid, such as air, the force of friction increases until it becomes equal to the force of gravity. This results in a net force of zero and the object reaching a constant speed known as terminal velocity.

2. What factors affect the force of friction on a falling object?

The force of friction on a falling object is affected by several factors, including the surface area of the object, the density of the fluid it is falling through, and the object's shape and mass. These factors can all impact the amount of resistance the object experiences as it falls through the fluid.

3. How does the force of friction change as an object reaches terminal velocity?

As an object falls through a fluid, the force of friction increases until it becomes equal to the force of gravity. At this point, the object will reach a constant speed known as terminal velocity. The force of friction will remain constant at this speed, as long as the object maintains its shape and orientation.

4. Can the force of friction ever exceed the force of gravity?

In most cases, the force of friction cannot exceed the force of gravity on a falling object. However, in some extreme cases, such as a skydiver in a steep dive, the force of air resistance may become greater than the force of gravity, resulting in an increase in terminal velocity.

5. How does the force of friction on a falling object compare to the force of friction on a stationary object?

The force of friction on a falling object is generally greater than the force of friction on a stationary object. This is because as the object falls, it experiences an increase in speed and therefore an increase in the force of friction. However, this may vary depending on the specific characteristics of the falling object and the surface it is falling on.