Relating Path Difference and Intensity in Radar Signals

In summary, the path difference between the two rays being received by the antenna is ##h/cos(\alpha)##, but how to relate the path difference with the intensity? What is the phase difference requirement between two signals for totally constructive interference? Phase difference is equal to ##2n\pi## or path difference is ##n\lambda##.
Saitama

Homework Statement

attachment.php?attachmentid=58645&stc=1&d=1368288914.jpg

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

The path difference between the two rays being received by antenna is ##h/cos(\alpha)## but how to relate the path difference with the intensity?

Attachments

• radio.jpg
    radio.jpg
    13.1 KB · Views: 433
Physics news on Phys.org
What is the phase difference requirement between two signals for totally constructive interference?

Phase difference is equal to ##2n\pi## or path difference is ##n\lambda##.

Pranav-Arora said:
Phase difference is equal to ##2n\pi## or path difference is ##n\lambda##.

Correct. So you need n*lambda path difference. Solve for h?

What is the value of n? :confused:

I end up with ##h=n\lambda \cos \alpha##.

n can be any positive integer. Are you sure that you got the correct expression for the path difference? Did you take into account the law of reflection? I wonder if you are meant to include a phase shift due to reflection?

Pranav-Arora said:
What is the value of n? :confused:

I end up with ##h=n\lambda \cos \alpha##.

Do you want to make the height higher than it has to be? You can make it ##h=\lambda \cos \alpha## or ##h=2\lambda \cos \alpha## or ...

I would make it as low as possible while satisfying your equation! :smile:

TSny said:
n can be any positive integer. Are you sure that you got the correct expression for the path difference? Did you take into account the law of reflection? I wonder if you are meant to include a phase shift due to reflection?

I don't know about considering the phase shift. There is nothing mentioned in the question about it. I think I got the right expression for path difference considering no phase shift. The given answer is ##\lambda/(4\cos \alpha)##.

TSny said:

Good point. I assumed the OP gave the correct path difference and I didn't consider any phase change due to reflection.

Judging from the given answer the path length was not what the OP came up with.

rude man said:
Good point. I assumed the OP gave the correct path difference and I didn't consider any phase change due to reflection.

Judging from the given answer the path length was not what the OP came up with.

The light reflected from the surface of water which reaches the antenna has to travel an extra distance of ##h/\cos \alpha## (which can be easily calculated from simple trigonometry). This is the path difference. What have I done wrong? :confused:

Pranav-Arora said:
The light reflected from the surface of water which reaches the antenna has to travel an extra distance of ##h/\cos \alpha## (which can be easily calculated from simple trigonometry). This is the path difference. What have I done wrong? :confused:

The two waves travel the same distance to the red dots shown in the figure.

Attachments

• Radio Waves 1.jpg
    Radio Waves 1.jpg
    8.1 KB · Views: 412
Sorry for the late reply.

TSny said:
The two waves travel the same distance to the red dots shown in the figure.

The length AC is ##h/\cos \alpha##.

##\angle ACB=2\alpha-\pi/2##
##\sin \angle ACB=AB/AC=AB\cos \alpha/h \Rightarrow -\cos 2\alpha=AB\cos \alpha/h##
##\Rightarrow AB=-h\cos 2\alpha/\cos \alpha##

Am I doing this right?

Attachments

• radio waves.png
    radio waves.png
    30.1 KB · Views: 461
Yes, that looks ok.

TSny said:
Yes, that looks ok.

Path difference is ##AC-AB=\frac{h}{\cos \alpha}+\frac{h\cos 2\alpha}{\cos \alpha}##
[tex]= \frac{h(1+\cos 2\alpha)}{\cos \alpha}=2h\cos \alpha[/tex]

The path difference should be equal to ##n\lambda## and for min height, ##n=1##
[tex]\Rightarrow h=\frac{\lambda}{2\cos \alpha}[/tex]

But this is wrong. :confused:

That all looks good. You might be expected to include a phase shift of the wave that reflects off the water.

TSny said:
That all looks good. You might be expected to include a phase shift of the wave that reflects off the water.

If I include the phase shift, I do get the right answer. Thank you TSny! :smile:

Good!

There's a trick that can make finding the path difference easier. In the figure, the tower is extended a distance h below the ground. You can use the law of reflection to show that the triangles abd and cbd are congruent. Then ba = bc and ec is the path difference.

Attachments

• Radio Waves.jpg
    Radio Waves.jpg
    11 KB · Views: 377
TSny said:
There's a trick that can make finding the path difference easier. In the figure, the tower is extended a distance h below the ground. You can use the law of reflection to show that the triangles abd and cbd are congruent. Then ba = bc and ec is the path difference.

That makes it a lot easier, thanks! :cool:

Related to Relating Path Difference and Intensity in Radar Signals

What are radio waves received by radar?

Radio waves received by radar are electromagnetic waves that are sent out by a radar system and then reflected back by objects in the environment. These waves are used to detect the location, speed, and direction of objects, such as aircraft, ships, and weather patterns.

How do radar systems receive radio waves?

Radar systems use an antenna to transmit radio waves into the environment. When these waves hit an object, they are reflected back to the antenna and then processed by the radar system to determine the object's characteristics.

What frequencies do radar systems use to receive radio waves?

Radar systems can use a wide range of frequencies to receive radio waves, depending on the specific application. Commonly used frequencies include UHF, VHF, and microwave bands.

What factors can affect the reception of radio waves by radar systems?

The reception of radio waves by radar systems can be affected by various factors, such as atmospheric conditions, interference from other electronic devices, and the size and shape of objects being detected.

What are some common uses for radio waves received by radar?

Radio waves received by radar have a wide range of applications, including air traffic control, weather forecasting, military defense, and navigation for ships and aircraft. They are also used in scientific research, such as studying the movement of ocean currents and monitoring wildlife populations.