Relating musical notes to vibrations in steel rods(comb)

In summary, to replicate a music box with your own choice of music, you would need to determine the natural frequency of each tooth in the steel comb by calculating the k and m values for the specific material used. Then, adjust the length of each tooth to match the desired music and calculate the required number of teeth accordingly. The number of teeth needed will vary depending on the music and material used.
yusra347

Homework Statement

this is a design course project, and I am trying to replicate a music box but with my own choice of music. the concept is the same, a steel comb, being plucked at by protrusions from a rotating cylinder. ok, so the vibrations of each comb tooth are related to the length of the tooth.
i need to know how many teeth i should put in the comb
(There are 13 notes, actually 12, the 13th is the 1st, on a scale, then u go an octave higher and the same notes repeat, that's how any musical instrument works)

Homework Equations

natural frequency of cantelever = [tex]\omega_{n}[/tex] = [tex]\sqrt{k/m}[/tex]
where k= 3EI/[tex]\texts{l^{3}}[/tex] [three E into I over L cubed ]

The Attempt at a Solution

so...i need to know if 12 notes would be enuf for say , something like fur elise? iv heard music boxes play those very shrilly n hardly similar..im not trying to play fur elise though
or do i hav to make a longer piano comb (as i call it) ??
and also the problem being that i have to fabricate this comb :/

Physics news on Phys.org
so firstly, i would need to figure out the natural frequency of each tooth. Using the equation given, i would have to calculate the k and m values for the specific material that i am using to fabricate the comb. After that, i would need to determine the length of each tooth. The length of each tooth should be such that the frequency of vibration of each tooth is in tune with the music that i am trying to play. So, depending on the music that i am playing, i would have to adjust the length of the teeth accordingly. Finally, once the length of each tooth is determined, i could calculate the number of teeth required to play the desired music. In general, the number of teeth in the comb would depend on the music that you are trying to play, as well as the material that you are using to fabricate the comb.

Related to Relating musical notes to vibrations in steel rods(comb)

1. How do musical notes relate to vibrations in steel rods (comb)?

The relationship between musical notes and vibrations in steel rods, also known as a comb, is based on the principle of resonance. When a steel rod is struck, it vibrates at a specific frequency, producing a sound. This frequency is directly related to the length and thickness of the steel rod. The longer and thicker the rod, the lower the frequency and the lower the musical note produced. Similarly, a shorter and thinner rod will produce a higher frequency and a higher musical note.

2. How is the pitch of a steel rod (comb) determined?

The pitch of a steel rod, or the musical note it produces, is determined by the length and thickness of the rod. The longer and thicker the rod, the lower the pitch. This is because longer and thicker rods vibrate at a lower frequency, resulting in a lower musical note. Similarly, shorter and thinner rods vibrate at a higher frequency, producing a higher pitch.

3. Can the pitch of a steel rod (comb) be changed?

Yes, the pitch of a steel rod can be changed by altering its length and thickness. Shortening the rod will increase its pitch, while lengthening it will decrease the pitch. Similarly, thickening the rod will lower the pitch, while thinning it will increase the pitch. This is why a comb with multiple steel rods of varying lengths and thicknesses can produce different musical notes.

4. What is the science behind the vibrations in steel rods (comb) producing musical notes?

The science behind the vibrations in steel rods producing musical notes is based on the principle of resonance. When a steel rod is struck, it vibrates at a specific frequency, which produces a sound. This sound is amplified as it travels through the air. The frequency of the vibration is directly related to the pitch of the musical note produced, with lower frequencies producing lower notes and higher frequencies producing higher notes.

5. How are steel rods (comb) used in music?

Steel rods, or combs, are often used in traditional and folk music from various cultures around the world. They are played by striking them with a mallet or plucking them with fingers, and can produce a unique and distinctive sound. They are also sometimes used in contemporary music as an alternative percussion instrument. In addition, steel rods can be used to tune other musical instruments, such as pianos and xylophones, as they produce a pure and consistent tone.