Relating internal energy to highest temp

In summary, adding cream at the hottest point just after it is poured would speed up the heat transfer.
trah22

Homework Statement

one mole of He, H2, CO2 goes through a process such that the change in their internal energies are the same. WHich of the gases has a higher temp change?

Homework Equations

Eint=3/2nRdeltaT=nCvdeltaT (for monatomic gases)
Eint=5/2nRT (diatomic gases)
polytamoic gases have higher values for eint,Cv,CP

The Attempt at a Solution

is it helium because the change of temp has to be quite large in order to have equal internal energies with the others due to its 3/2 ratio?

Physics news on Phys.org
You general thinking is correct. In general it takes a larger temperature change to excite helium to a higher net energy. Why? Think temperature corresponds to energy per degree of freedom. Why would helium be different in terms of degrees of freedom?

it has less degress of freedom because its a monatomic gas and they only have 3...

I guess the interesting thing would be why diatomic has 5.

so its basically due to the degrees of freedom, I am sorry I am not sure if there's anything else I am not understanding

i just got one more question i don't quite fully understand, the actual problem in the text is: suppose you pour hot coffee for your guests. TO have the coffee that will stay warm for the longest period (i.e. the coffee which takes the longest time to reach room temp.) one should:
a) add cream just after the coffee is poured
b) add cream just before drinking but a few minutes after the coffee is poured
c) can add the cream at anytime

This question is for section 17.9through18.1 in my text but all that seems to cover is molarheatcapacity, second law of thermodynamics, conduction and convection, and some quant

How do i approach this problem?

trah22 said:
so its basically due to the degrees of freedom, I am sorry I am not sure if there's anything else I am not understanding

You could have said that helium is spherically symmetric so has no rotational degrees of freedom. This is pure QM. On your second question, you've hit a legal snag of the forum. You have to give us your thoughts first. I'll give you a hint. Suppose it's a pure conduction problem. How is the difference from equilibrium related to the rate of cooling?

um, I am not quite certain but from what i understand conduction only occures if the temps differs in the medium and also vary depending on wether or not whatever is being looked at is a good or bad thermal conductor, I am not sure how to apply this into the problem, the coffee is obviously extremely hot at the beginning and cream is usually poured in cold, or even if it isn't it will be significantly colder still compared to the coffee.

Mixing the fluids does not change heat content relative to equilibrium. How does temperature difference from equilibrium affect the rate of heat transfer? And the coffee could be extremely cold and the cream extremely hot and it wouldn't affect the answer. This is a think problem.

aright, so the hotter coffee is initially the heat transfer would then take/last longer, i hope i didnt just reverse that. So youd want to add it at its hottest point just after its poured according to this. Does that seem correct?

Last edited:
trah22 said:
aright, so the hotter coffee is initially the heat transfer would then take/last longer, i hope i didnt just reverse that. So youd want to add it at its hottest point just after its poured according to this. Does that seem correct?

I think you did reverse the first statement. But I think you get the gist of it. The answer could be stated much more clearly.

Related to Relating internal energy to highest temp

1. How is internal energy related to the highest temperature?

Internal energy and temperature are directly proportional. This means that as the internal energy of a substance increases, its temperature will also increase. The higher the internal energy, the higher the temperature.

2. What is the significance of relating internal energy to the highest temperature?

Relating internal energy to the highest temperature allows us to understand the behavior of substances when they are heated or cooled. It helps us determine the amount of energy needed to raise the temperature of a substance and how much energy will be released when the temperature is lowered.

3. Can internal energy be converted into highest temperature?

Yes, internal energy can be converted into temperature. When a substance absorbs energy, its molecules gain kinetic energy and start moving faster, which increases the temperature. Conversely, when a substance releases energy, its molecules slow down and the temperature decreases.

4. Is there a limit to the highest temperature that can be reached through internal energy?

Yes, there is a limit to the highest temperature that can be reached through internal energy. This limit is known as absolute zero and is the lowest possible temperature that a substance can reach. It is equivalent to 0 Kelvin or -273.15 degrees Celsius.

5. How is the internal energy of a substance determined at its highest temperature?

The internal energy of a substance at its highest temperature is determined by the amount of energy it contains in the form of heat and the work done on or by the substance. This can be calculated using the first law of thermodynamics, which states that the change in internal energy is equal to the heat added to the system minus the work done by the system.