Related to - Thermionic emission

In summary: I don't remember the word... resistance?In summary, when a metallic wire is heated up, it emits its free electrons and this affects its electrical conductivity. However, when a current is running through the wire, the free electrons are replaced and the metal remains neutral in charge so that thermionic emissions can continue indefinitely.
Wasif Shah
Hey currently I am doing O levels and in my textbook I read that when a metallic wire (in CRO - the cathode) is heated up, it starts emitting its free electrons (thermionic emission). And also its a fact that electrons are responsible for electrical conductivity. A question just popped up in my mind that, does the electrical conductivity of metals decrease when a high temperature is reached (as they must have emitted their free electrons)?

-Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
:welcome:
Wasif Shah said:
Hey currently I am doing O levels and in my textbook I read that when a metallic wire (in CRO - the cathode) is heated up, it starts emitting its free electrons (thermionic emission). And also its a fact that electrons are responsible for electrical conductivity. A question just popped up in my mind that, does the electrical conductivity of metals decrease when a high temperature is reached (as they must have emitted their free electrons)?

-Thanks

Conductivity is probably not the right word for what you are asking. If the metal emits electrons, and there is no current flow, then it will become positively charged. The positive charge would resist further emission.

However in the usual case, the metal is connected in a circuit (which eventually connects to Earth ground). The electrons are replaced, and the metal remains neutral in charge, so that the thermionic emissions can continue indefinitely.

Does that answer your question?

Likes davenn
Wasif Shah said:

-Thanks

The resistivity of a conductor increases when the conductor is heated. So the conductivity decreases (conductivity is inversely-related to resistivity).

This behavior has nothing to do with thermionic emission, but rather the behavior of a standard metal. In a thermionic emission, the metal is connected to a circuit, and current flow is how it is normally heated. So there is always a supply of electrons, since one end of it can be grounded. There is no "charging" effect.

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
This behavior has nothing to do with thermionic emission, but rather the behavior of a standard metal. In a thermionic emission, the metal is connected to a circuit, and current flow is how it is normally heated. So there is always a supply of electrons, since one end of it can be grounded. There is no "charging" effect.
In the case of a simple thermionic diode with positive bias so that it conducts, the resistance drop across the filament will be caused by the current in the heater circuit but also the additional electrons that flow from the cathode to the Anode.
So, for someone measuring the voltage across the filament and the current flowing into it, the Resistance they would measure would, I believe, be measured as different. This is quite a sophisticated question for an O level student - Wasif may be getting a more confusing answer than he(?) expected. :smile:

sophiecentaur said:
In the case of a simple thermionic diode with positive bias so that it conducts, the resistance drop across the filament will be caused by the current in the heater circuit but also the additional electrons that flow from the cathode to the Anode.
So, for someone measuring the voltage across the filament and the current flowing into it, the Resistance they would measure would, I believe, be measured as different. This is quite a sophisticated question for an O level student - Wasif may be getting a more confusing answer than he(?) expected. :smile:

Are you sure? The OP never asked anything about a "thermionic diode". So he/she isn't asking a "sophisticated question", but a rather straight-foward one especially considering the level that we are talking about. Are we the ones making it more difficult than it really is?

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
Are you sure? The OP never asked anything about a "thermionic diode". So he/she isn't asking a "sophisticated question", but a rather straight-foward one especially considering the level that we are talking about. Are we the ones making it more difficult than it really is?

Zz.
The question was probably based on the limits of what the student was told but when the thermionic emitter is included in a circuit, there can be a net flow of electrons and what I wrote would be true. And, actually, during the initial heating process, even if there is no other connection than a 'battery, heating the wire', there will be a small excess flow of electrons onto the wire, causing a finite (but time) increase or decrease in the measurement of its resistance.
Yes we could be making it more difficult than intended but my description of the heating up transition would apply in any case.

Thankyou soo much guys. Yeah i do understand till that part that the circuit is earthed and electron deficiency can be fulfilled from electrons from Earth and hence the metal never runs out of electrons. I didnt understand the rest of the part XD.

sophiecentaur said:
The question was probably based on the limits of what the student was told but when the thermionic emitter is included in a circuit, there can be a net flow of electrons and what I wrote would be true. And, actually, during the initial heating process, even if there is no other connection than a 'battery, heating the wire', there will be a small excess flow of electrons onto the wire, causing a finite (but time) increase or decrease in the measurement of its resistance.
Yes we could be making it more difficult than intended but my description of the heating up transition would apply in any case.

I am interested in your statement
And, actually, during the initial heating process, even if there is no other connection than a 'battery, heating the wire', there will be a small excess flow of electrons onto the wire, causing a finite (but time) increase or decrease in the measurement of its resistance.
How do you explain this?...are you considering reactive elements or the circuit?
Electrons are not a concrete concept and as presented to anyone under the age of 11 probably inhibit consonance of understanding.

lychette said:
I am interested in your statement
And, actually, during the initial heating process, even if there is no other connection than a 'battery, heating the wire', there will be a small excess flow of electrons onto the wire, causing a finite (but time) increase or decrease in the measurement of its resistance.
How do you explain this?...are you considering reactive elements or the circuit?
Electrons are not a concrete concept and as presented to anyone under the age of 11 probably inhibit consonance of understanding.
Sorry - for "time" read "tiny". There would be, I guess, the equivalent of a small capacitance as the charge ('space charge') forms around the hot wire. I imagine there would be a finite net leakage of electrons into the surrounding air - being carried away in air currents, forming -ions and going to other neutral objects. A permanent change in measured resistance would need a constant flow of electrons onto an anode, nearby. (a parallel path) I immediately interpreted your post as relating to a diode. But we're talking angels on a pinhead here.

Related to Related to - Thermionic emission

1. What is thermionic emission?

Thermionic emission is the process by which electrons are emitted from the surface of a material when it is heated to a high temperature.

2. What is the importance of thermionic emission in scientific research?

Thermionic emission is important in various scientific fields, including electronics, vacuum technology, and energy conversion. It allows for the creation of electron guns, vacuum tubes, and thermionic converters, which have numerous applications in industry and research.

3. How does thermionic emission differ from other forms of electron emission?

Thermionic emission differs from other forms of electron emission, such as field emission and photoemission, in that it is dependent on temperature rather than external electric or light fields. It also typically occurs at higher temperatures and has a slower emission rate.

4. What factors affect the rate of thermionic emission?

The rate of thermionic emission is affected by the temperature of the material, the work function of the material, and the applied electric field. Higher temperatures and lower work functions result in a higher emission rate, while a higher applied electric field can increase or decrease the rate depending on the material.

5. How is thermionic emission related to the work function of a material?

The work function of a material is the minimum energy required to remove an electron from its surface. In thermionic emission, the energy of the heated material exceeds the work function, allowing electrons to overcome the potential barrier and be emitted. Therefore, the work function is a crucial factor in determining the rate of thermionic emission.