Related Rates problems. Please Read.

In summary, the problem involves an oil spill with a rate of 100 ft per second, and the goal is to find the rate of change of the radius at a specific distance. The problem is set up using the formula A=∏rsquared, but with a typo and incorrect units. The derivative of the area is multiplied by the derivative of the radius with respect to time, and this is necessary for the units to match in the equation.
jasonlr82794
I have an oil spill that spills out at a rate of 100 ft per second. I need to find the rate of change of the radius at 800ft. The problem I thought would have been set up like this...
A=∏rsquared

100ft per second= 2∏r, but this isn't correct, it is actually...

100ft per second - 2∏r (dr/dt), this is how it was shown in the problem.

Why is the derivative of the cirlces area multiplied by the radiuses derivative with respect to time? why is it set up this way? It mathematically makes sense to say this without the dr/dt, so why is it there? please help.

Physics news on Phys.org
jasonlr82794 said:
I have an oil spill that spills out at a rate of 100 ft per second. I need to find the rate of change of the radius at 800ft. The problem I thought would have been set up like this...
A=∏rsquared

100ft per second= 2∏r, but this isn't correct, it is actually...
Have you quoted the problem correctly? Is the area of the spill growing at 100 square feet per second? (100 ft2/sec)
jasonlr82794 said:
100ft per second - 2∏r (dr/dt), this is how it was shown in the problem.
There's a typo here and the units on the left side are wrong.
The problem probably had it as
100 ft2/sec = 2##\pi##r dr/dt.

The units on the left are ft2/sec. The units on the right have to agree, with r in ft and dr/dt in ft/sec.
jasonlr82794 said:
Why is the derivative of the cirlces area multiplied by the radiuses derivative with respect to time? why is it set up this way? It mathematically makes sense to say this without the dr/dt, so why is it there? please help.

Related to Related Rates problems. Please Read.

1. What are related rates problems?

Related rates problems are mathematical problems that involve finding the rate of change of one variable with respect to another variable. This involves using the chain rule to differentiate the given equation and setting up an equation with the given rates and the rates of change of the variables.

2. What are the common types of related rates problems?

The common types of related rates problems include geometric problems such as finding the rate of change of the area or volume of a shape, motion problems such as finding the velocity or acceleration of an object, and optimization problems such as finding the maximum or minimum value of a variable.

3. What are the steps to solve a related rates problem?

The steps to solve a related rates problem are: 1) Identify the variables involved and the given rates. 2) Write an equation that relates the variables. 3) Differentiate the equation with respect to time. 4) Substitute the given values and solve for the unknown rate. 5) Check the solution and answer the question in the context of the problem.

4. What are some tips for solving related rates problems?

Some tips for solving related rates problems include drawing a diagram to visualize the problem, using proper units for the given rates, and differentiating carefully using the chain rule. It is also helpful to understand the relationship between the variables involved and how they change with respect to each other.

5. How can I practice and improve my skills in solving related rates problems?

You can practice and improve your skills in solving related rates problems by working through various examples and exercises. You can also find online resources or textbooks with more related rates problems to solve. Additionally, understanding the concepts and techniques involved in solving related rates problems can help you approach different types of problems more effectively.