Lab/ Help me reason why the error?

In summary, the conversation involves a discussion about a lab report for a physics class. The purpose of the experiment was to compare the net force of a cart, driven by a fan, on a flat track and an inclined track. The procedure involved measuring the length and mass of the cart and using a motion sensor to measure its velocity. The data and results showed varying values for the net force on the cart, with the second set of numbers being significantly lower than the first set. The conversation also includes a discussion about potential sources of error, such as misunderstanding the experiment and not reporting all necessary data.
pezzang
I wrote a lab report for my physics class and i can't finish my conclusion. In conclusion, I have to write why the results i got was so off and so far i have only two weak reasonings. If any of you can see better or more reasonings, please leave me a comment and elaborate a little bit if you can. Thank you.
Here are my reasonings so far
a) the friction of the track in each experiment might have been differnt
b) in my lab, gravity(9.8m/s2) might not have been a theoretical value. So that's why the results were so off.

WHAT ELSE?

I. Purpose

This experiment consisted of two parts to compare the net force of a cart, driven by a fan. In the first part, we calculated the net force of the cart on a horizontally flat track by measuring the mass and acceleration of the cart. In the second part, we raised the end point of the track from the ground in order to make an upward slope for the cart. By finding the length of the track and the height of the raised endpoint from the ground, we calculated the net force of the cart. According to Newton¡¯s Second Law, a body accelerates if a net external force acts on the body. The direction of acceleration is the same as the direction of net force. The net force vector is equal to the mass of the body times the acceleration of the body. For the first experiment we can use the equation below to calculate the net force of the cart:
SF = m * a
(F = force in a vector form, m = mass of an object, a = acceleration in a vector form)
For the second part, we use a different equation since the track is no longer flat on the ground but rather has an angle:
SF = m * g (sin A)
(g = 9.8m/s2, A = the angle between the flat track and the ground)

II. Summary of Procedure

Before the start of experiment, we prepare a track, a cart, a motion sensor, a fan, a balance, a ruler and two batteries.
In the first part of the experiment, a track is placed on the horizontally flat surface of the table, and its length is measured using a ruler. A fan is attached on the top of the cart, and two batteries are put on. Using a balance, we measure the mass of the object, which consists of cart, fan and batteries. Then, a motion sensor is set up on the edge of starting point so that we can measure the velocity of the car once the cart starts moving. Then, the cart is put on at the starting position of the track, and we turn on the fan. While the cart accelerates, driven forward by the energy of the fan and moves toward the opposite end of the track, the motion sensor detects cart¡¯s acceleration. We repeat this procedure three times to derive an accurate result.
In the second part of the experiment, one end of the track is slightly raised so that the track has a slope. A car is put on the lowest part of the track, and its fan is turned on. The slope of the track is slowly raised so that the cart completely stops on the track with its final velocity equals zero. When the cart stops, the height from the upper end of the track to the table will be measured with the ruler. The same steps are repeated three times to get an accurate result.

III. Data/ Results
First Part:
Length of the track = 129cm
Mass of the o cart + fan + batteries = 0.724kg
Height of the raised track = 1) 4cm, 2) 4.1cm, 3) 4.4cm
Second Part:
Mass of the o cart + fan + batteries = 0.724kg
Acceleration of the object = 1) 0.1562m/s2, 2) 0.1769m/s2, 3) 0.1825m/s2

1) Calculation
First Part:
a) A = angle between the flat ground and the track = sin-1(4.0/129) = 1.78 degree
b) A = angle between the flat ground and the track = sin-1(4.1/129) = 1.82 degree
c) A = angle between the flat ground and the track = sin-1(4.4/129) = 1.95 degree
a) S Fx = m * g * (sin A) = (0.724kg) * (9.8m/s2) * (sin 1.78degree) = 0.220 N
b) S Fx = m * g * (sin A) = (0.724kg) * (9.8m/s2) * (sin 1.78degree) = 0.230 N
c) S Fx = m * g * (sin A) = (0.724kg) * (9.8m/s2) * (sin 1.78degree) = 0.242 N
Second Part:
a) First Trial: S Fx = m * a = (0.724kg)(0.1562m/s2) = 0.113 N
b) Second Trial: S Fx = m * a = (0.724kg)(0.1769m/s2) = 0.128 N
c) Third Trial: S Fx = m * a = (0.724kg)(0.1825m/s2) = 0.132 N

Physics news on Phys.org
No, I don't think gravity is likely to be noticably different in your lab than anywhere else! (The force of gravity DOES change slightly from place to place, but not enough for you to measure.)

One significant source of error might by your failure to understand what you are doing.

You state that the "first" and "second" parts of your experiment consist of accelerating the carts on a horizontal track and then on an inclined track. Yet you give data only for the inclined track. What you call "first part" and "second part" appear to be calculations of gravitational force and net force on the cart.

What exactly do you see as an error? What numbers are off?
Are you saying that the first numbers, 0.220 N, 0.230 N, and 0.242 N, should be the same as the second set, 0.113 N, 0.128 N, and 0.132 N?
Surely not. The net force, the second set of numbers, should be the force exerted by the fan minus the gravitational force. Put another way, the force exerted by the fan should be the sum of the gravitational force and the net force.
In other words, the values you get from adding the corresponding numbers above should be approximately the force you got from the "first part" of the experiment, on the horizontal. Unfortunately, you didn't report those.

After reviewing your data and calculations, I can see that there are a few reasons why your results may have been off. Here are a few additional reasonings that you can consider for your conclusion:
1) Human error: It is possible that there were slight variations in the way the experiment was performed each time, leading to different results. Maybe the fan was not turned on at the same speed each time, or the motion sensor was not placed in the exact same spot.
2) Friction from the fan: The fan may have created some friction on the cart or the track, which could have affected the acceleration and the net force.
3) Inaccurate measurements: It is important to ensure that all measurements are as accurate as possible. Even a small error in measuring the length of the track or the mass of the cart can lead to significant differences in the calculated net force.
4) External factors: It is possible that there were external factors, such as air resistance or vibrations from the table, that could have influenced the results.
5) Lack of control: In order to accurately compare the results, it is important to have a control group where all variables are kept constant except for the one being tested. In this case, the angle of the track was changed, but other variables such as the mass of the cart and the fan were not controlled.
I hope these additional reasonings will help you in completing your conclusion. Remember to thoroughly analyze your data and consider all possible factors that could have affected your results. Good luck!

1. What is the purpose of conducting a lab experiment?

The purpose of conducting a lab experiment is to test a hypothesis and collect data to support or refute it. It allows for a controlled environment to observe and manipulate variables in order to gain a better understanding of a phenomenon.

2. How do you determine the sources of error in a lab experiment?

Sources of error can be determined by carefully reviewing and analyzing the experimental procedure, equipment used, and any external factors that may have influenced the results. Additionally, repeating the experiment multiple times and comparing results can help identify potential sources of error.

3. What is the difference between random and systematic errors?

Random errors are caused by unpredictable fluctuations in measurements, while systematic errors occur due to consistent flaws in the experimental setup or procedure. Random errors can be reduced by increasing the sample size, while systematic errors can be minimized by carefully controlling and standardizing experimental conditions.

4. What are some common types of errors in lab experiments?

Some common types of errors include human error, equipment or instrument error, measurement error, and environmental error. Human error can result from mistakes in following the experimental procedure, while equipment or instrument error can occur due to malfunctions or limitations. Measurement error can arise from inaccuracies in measuring devices, and environmental error can be caused by factors such as temperature or humidity fluctuations.

5. How can errors in a lab experiment be reduced or eliminated?

To reduce or eliminate errors in a lab experiment, it is important to carefully plan and design the experiment, following standardized protocols and using reliable equipment. Proper calibration and maintenance of equipment can also help minimize errors. Additionally, conducting multiple trials and averaging results can help reduce the impact of random errors.