Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Related rates 1

ayahouyee

Nov 4, 2013
The ideal gas law states that PV = nRT where P is the pressure in atmospheres, V
is the volume in litres, n is the number of moles, R = 8.314 Latm/Kmol is the gas
constant, and T is the temperature in Kelvins. Suppose that at a specific instance that
two moles of gas is under 5 atmospheres of pressure where the pressure is decreasing at
0.3 atm/min. Also at this moment the volume is 15 L and is increasing at 0.6 L/min.
What is the rate of change of the temperature with respect to time?

Thanks in advance!

Evgeny.Makarov

MHB Math Scholar
Jan 30, 2012
Look, you need to make an attempt at the solution or at least explain your difficulty.

Express T through P(t) and V(t). Then find the derivative dT/dt of T w.r.t. time treating P and V as functions of t.

ayahouyee

Nov 4, 2013
Okay, so first i have to differentiate both sides with respect to time:

P(dV/dt) + V(dP/dt) = R(n(dT/dt) + T(dn/dt))

We're told that dP/dt = -0.3 atm/min, n = 2, P = 5 atm, V = 15 L, dV/dt = 0.6 L/min:

Plugging all this in:

(5 atm)(0.6 L/min) + (15 L)(-0.3 atm/min) = (8.314 L*atm/K*mol)*(2)(dT/dt)

This is where i get stuck! we are not allowed to use calculators so i dont know how i am supposed to find my final answer :(

MarkFL

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 24, 2012
I would do as suggested by Evgeny.Makarov and write:

\(\displaystyle T=\frac{1}{nR}PV\)

Now, the constant:

\(\displaystyle \frac{1}{nR}\)

will have units of:

\(\displaystyle \frac{1}{\text{mol}\cdot\frac{\text{J}}{\text{mol K}}}=\frac{\text{K}}{\text{J}}=\frac{\text{temperature}}{\text{energy}}\)

The two factors:

\(\displaystyle PV\)

will have units of:

\(\displaystyle \frac{\text{force}}{\text{length}^2}\cdot\text{length}^3=\text{force}\cdot\text{length}=\text{work}=\text{energy}\)

Thus, the equation is dimensionally consistent. The constant factor is:

\(\displaystyle \frac{1}{2\cdot8.314}=\frac{1}{16.628}=\frac{1000}{16628}=\frac{250}{4157}\)

So, we may now write:

\(\displaystyle T=\frac{250}{4157}PV\)

Now try differentiating with respect to time $t$.

ayahouyee

Nov 4, 2013
DT/dt = 250/4157P(DP/dt) + 250/4157(DV/dt)

is that right?

MarkFL

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 24, 2012
DT/dt = 250/4157P(DP/dt) + 250/4157(DV/dt)

is that right?
No, you want to apply the product rule on the right side. Recall:

\(\displaystyle \frac{d}{dx}\left(f(x)g(x) \right)=f(x)\frac{d}{dx}\left(g(x) \right)+\frac{d}{dx}\left(f(x) \right)g(x)\)