Reducing to Pell's equation.

• Thread starter qaz
  • Start date
In summary, In the Pell equation for a prime of the form p=4k+1 or 2, we have: n*x^2 + 1 = y^2. For the Pathagorean triples, X^2 + Y^2 = Z^2, where it can be shown that absolute value of X=b^2-a^2, Absolute value of Y = 2ab, Z = a^2 + b^2, for a, b integers. So we have a form like N=b^2-a^2, N+1 = 2ab. Subtracting we get 1 = a^2 +2ab - b^2 = (a+b)^2 -
qaz
i am having some trouble with this problem.

show that there are infinitely many integers n so that n^2+(n+1)^2 is a perfect square. (reduce to pell's equation).

i know pell's equation but don't know how to apply it with this problem.

pell's equation: n*x^2 + 1 = y^2.

-thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
I've seen Pell's equation also written as [itex]nx^2 - 1 = y^2[/itex], so maybe there are two forms, one with a plus sign, one with a minus sign. One fact about Pell's equation is that there are an infinite number of positive integer pair solutions (x,y) when n is not a perfect square integer (hopefully this holds for the case where there's a minus sign, otherwise my hint will be useless!).

Anyway, here's the hint: see what condition(s) you can extract when you try to solve the equation that results when you write [itex]n^2 + (n+1)^2[/itex] as a perfect square (i.e. when you solve the following equation for n: [itex]n^2 + (n+1)^2 = m^2[/itex])

cragwolf said:
I've seen Pell's equation also written as [itex]nx^2 - 1 = y^2[/itex], so maybe there are two forms, one with a plus sign, one with a minus sign. One fact about Pell's equation is that there are an infinite number of positive integer pair solutions (x,y) when n is not a perfect square integer (hopefully this holds for the case where there's a minus sign, otherwise my hint will be useless!).

Anyway, here's the hint: see what condition(s) you can extract when you try to solve the equation that results when you write [itex]n^2 + (n+1)^2[/itex] as a perfect square (i.e. when you solve the following equation for n: [itex]n^2 + (n+1)^2 = m^2[/itex])

hmmm, ok, but i still don't see how you can apply that to get further.

Alright. So we want to solve the following equation for n:

n^2 + (n+1)^2 = m^2

where m is an integer. After a bit of manipulation we arrive at:

2n^2 + 2n + (1 + m^2) = 0

The solutions of this equation are:

n = (-2 +/- sqrt(4 - 8(1 + m^2))/4)

Or:

n = 1/2 (-1 +/- sqrt(2m^2 - 1))

Now the only way that n is going to be an integer is if the expression inside the square root sign is a square number. Or in other words:

2m^2 - 1 = k^2

where k is an integer. This is the same as Pell's equation (with the minus sign), i.e.:

Dx^2 - 1 = y^2

Now we know that Pell's equation has infinitely many integer pair solutions (x,y) if D is not a square number. In our case, D is 2, which is not a square number. So there are an infinite number of integer pair solutions (m,k). And so there are an infinite number of integers n which are solutions to our first equation. And so there are infinitely many integers n such that n^2 + (n+1)^2 is a perfect square.

In the Pell equation for a prime of the form p=4k+1 or 2, we have:

Y^2 -pX^2 = +/- 1.

Now for the Pathagorean triples, we have X^2 + Y^2 = Z^2, where it can be shown that absolute value of X=b^2-a^2, Absolute value of Y = 2ab, Z = a^2 + b^2, for a, b integers.

Thus we have a form like N=b^2-a^2, N+1 = 2ab.

Subtracting we get 1 = a^2 +2ab - b^2 = (a+b)^2 - 2b^2. This is a Pellian equation. Here we could also have the equation (b-a)^2 -2a^2 =-1, if N+1 had been chosen as absolute value of b^2-a^2.

Take the case of 3^2 -2x2^2 = 1. In this case we have a+b =3, b =2, a=1,

This gives: 3^2 +4^2 = 5^2. Now in the case, 7^2 -2x5^2 = -1. Here in the second case where n+1 = absolute value of b^2-a^2, we have b=2, -a=5. This gives the form 20^2 + 21^2 = 29^2.

Since there is an infinite number of solutions to X^2-2Y^2 = +/- 1, we have an infinite number of solutions to n^2 + (n+1)^2 = u^2 in integers.

Last edited:

1. What is Pell's equation?

Pell's equation is a type of Diophantine equation, named after mathematician John Pell, that involves finding integer solutions to the equation x^2 - Dy^2 = 1, where D is a non-square positive integer. This type of equation has been studied extensively in number theory and has important applications in cryptography and other areas of mathematics.

2. Why is reducing to Pell's equation important?

Reducing to Pell's equation is important because it allows us to find solutions to certain types of Diophantine equations, which can be difficult to solve using traditional methods. By reducing a Diophantine equation to Pell's equation, we can use well-known techniques and algorithms to find integer solutions more easily.

3. How do you reduce to Pell's equation?

To reduce a Diophantine equation to Pell's equation, we first need to identify the equation as a special type of Diophantine equation known as a "Pell-like" equation. This means that the equation can be written in the form x^2 - Dy^2 = k, where k is some constant. Then, we use transformations and substitutions to rewrite the equation in the form x^2 - Dy^2 = 1, which is Pell's equation. This process can be complex and may require advanced mathematical techniques.

4. Are there any limitations to reducing to Pell's equation?

Yes, there are some limitations to reducing to Pell's equation. This method is only applicable to certain types of Diophantine equations, specifically those that can be written in the form x^2 - Dy^2 = k. Additionally, the process of reducing to Pell's equation can become very difficult for equations with large values of D, making it less practical for certain cases.

5. What are some real-world applications of reducing to Pell's equation?

Reducing to Pell's equation has various real-world applications, particularly in the field of cryptography. For example, the RSA algorithm, which is used to encrypt and decrypt data in secure communication, relies on the difficulty of solving Pell's equation for large values of D. Additionally, Pell's equation has also been used in the design of error-correcting codes and in the study of elliptic curves.