Variation of Parameters for Solving Differential Equations

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving solving a non-homogeneous linear second order differential equation using the reduction of order and variation of parameters methods. The solution also involves finding a specific solution to the associated homogeneous equation. The person seeking help had already solved the problem using variation of parameters but appreciated the additional explanation.
ascheras
I can't seem to properly solve this problem:

ty" - (1+t) y' + y= t^2 e^(2t) , t> 0; ysub1= 1+t

any help would be appreciated

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I wonder if you are even clear on what the problem is since you didn't state it completely.

The problem is, I would guess, "Find the general solution to ty" - (1+t) y' + y= t^2 e^(2t) for t> 0, given that y1= 1+t is a solution to the associated homogeneous differential equation".

You did title this thread "help with reduction method" so you should understand what to do now. Since the equation is a non-homogeneous linear second order d.e., we need to find another solution to the associated homogeneous equation.

Using "reduction of order", we look for a solution of the form
y(t)= (1+t)u(t): the know solution multiplied by an unknown function u. Now y'= (1+t)u'+ u and y"= (1+t)u"+ 2u'. Putting those into the original equation:
ty"= t(1+t)u"+ 2tu'
-(1+t)y'= -(1+t)2u'- (1+t)u
y = (1+t)u
so ty"-(1+t)y'+ y= t(1+t)u"+(2t- 1- 2t- t2)u'=0
= t(1+t)u"-(t2+1)u'= 0
The fact that 1+t was itself a solution to the d.e. meant that while we have u" and u' we do not have u explicitely in the equation. Let
v= u' and the equation is t(1+t)v'- (t2+1)v= 0, a first order equation: we have reduced the order.

In fact, t(1+t)v'- (t2+1)u'= 0 is a separable equation: it can be integrated directly. Then replace v with u' and integrate again. That will give the general solution to the associated homogeneous equation. Finally, you can use "variation of parameters", which is very similar, to find a specific solution to the entire equation.

i'm glad you decided to help, but your belittling was unwelcome. i figured this problem out already using the variation of parameters. thank you anyway. and i did fully understand the problem and it was stated that way. it is understood that y1 is the solution to the homogenous equation. where else would it have come from? i do appreciate your help.

1. What is the reduction method?

The reduction method is a mathematical technique used to solve systems of equations by eliminating one variable at a time until only one variable remains, which can then be solved for.

2. When is the reduction method used?

The reduction method is typically used when there are two or more equations with two or more variables. It is also useful when the equations are not easily solved using other methods, such as substitution or elimination.

3. How does the reduction method work?

The reduction method involves using algebraic operations, such as addition, subtraction, and multiplication, to eliminate one variable at a time. This is done by manipulating the equations in a way that cancels out one variable and leaves the other variable(s) to be solved for.

4. What are the advantages of using the reduction method?

The reduction method is useful for solving systems of equations with multiple variables, and it is often faster and more efficient than other methods. It also allows for the use of any algebraic operations, making it a versatile and powerful tool for solving equations.

5. Are there any limitations to the reduction method?

One limitation of the reduction method is that it can only be used for linear equations, where the variables are raised to the first power. It also requires a good understanding of algebraic operations and equations, so it may not be suitable for all levels of math proficiency.