How do I evaluate the iterated integral in my textbook?

• Thread starter Dx
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integrals
In summary, The given problem is to evaluate the iterated integral from 0 to 1 of the function (x+y) with the inner integral ranging from the lower limit of x=sqrt(y) to the upper limit of x=y. However, the function f(x+y) is not provided, making it impossible to solve the integral without additional information.
Dx
Evaluate the iterated integral: integral 1 to 0 double integral square root(y)to y then f(x+y)dx dy.

I don't understand iterated integrals in my textbook and am clueless how to get started. In the previous chapter it converted ot uising reimann sums butthis next chapter is vague and therefore not the best examples to work from. Can anyone help me solve for this?
Thanks!
Dx
:wink:

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Is the problem really "integrate from 1 to 0" or is it from 0 to 1 (that's more common). If 0 is the lower limit on the integral then it is "from 0 to 1".

Of course, we can't integrate this until we know what f(x,y) is!

Originally posted by HallsofIvy
Is the problem really "integrate from 1 to 0" or is it from 0 to 1 (that's more common). If 0 is the lower limit on the integral then it is "from 0 to 1".

Of course, we can't integrate this until we know what f(x,y) is!

Yes, ur right. its from 0 lower limit to 1 upper. This is one of those that's throws me of because all the problem says is
[inte]upper 1 to lower 0 [inte][squ](y) uppper to y lower limit (x+y) dx dy

Im not given f(x+y)
Dx

iteration usually means "doing it more than once" in any other context. I think the author probably means the more commonly used term "multi-integral".

In your example, I think he means from lower limit x=sqrt(y) to upper limit x=y, in which case one usually treats y as a constant and integrates with respect to (wrt) x, getting x*x/2 + yx. Then replacing x in this result with the upper limit of y and subtracting this from the result of replacing x with x*x/2. Then after doing that integrating, then integrate wrt to x and replacing the upper and lower limits as usual.

Mike2, how does one get "x*x/2+ xy" when one doesn't know the function? Dx said he was asked to f(x+y) but didn't know f. That's a peculiar form and you may be right that it really is just x+y.

Dx, could you check the problem and tell us exactly what it says?

Mike2: I don't think it is a matter of multi-integral being a "more common name". "Iterated integral" and "multi-integral" are conceptually different things.
The iterated integral requires that we have a specific coordinate system and integrate in a specific order i.e. integrate first with respect to y and then with respect to x.
The "multi-integral", we are given a function, f, defined at each point of a region in, say, the plane and integrate f dA where dA is the "differential of area".

One of the important parts of a multi-variable calculus is showing that, by choosing a coordinate system, a mult-integral can always be converted to an iterated integral (in fact that's pretty much what you HAVE to do in order to actually integrated it). In it's most general form, that's "Fubini's Theorem".

Originally posted by HallsofIvy
Mike2, how does one get "x*x/2+ xy" when one doesn't know the function? Dx said he was asked to f(x+y) but didn't know f. That's a peculiar form and you may be right that it really is just x+y.

Dx, could you check the problem and tell us exactly what it says?

Straight out of the text verbatium.

Evaluate the iterated integral: integral 1 to 0 integral square root(y)to y (x+y)dx dy.

1. What is an iterated integral?

An iterated integral is a type of integral that involves integrating a function with respect to one variable, and then integrating the result with respect to another variable. It is commonly used to find the volume of a three-dimensional shape or to solve problems involving motion.

2. What is the difference between a single integral and an iterated integral?

A single integral involves integrating a function with respect to one variable, while an iterated integral involves integrating a function with respect to two or more variables. The result of a single integral is a number, while the result of an iterated integral is a function.

3. How do you evaluate an iterated integral?

To evaluate an iterated integral, you first integrate the innermost function with respect to its variable, treating all other variables as constants. Then, you integrate the result with respect to the next variable, again treating all other variables as constants. This process is repeated until all variables have been integrated.

4. What are some practical applications of iterated integrals?

Iterated integrals are commonly used in physics and engineering to solve problems involving motion, such as finding the total distance travelled by an object or the total work done by a force. They are also used in mathematics to calculate the volume of three-dimensional shapes and to find the area under a surface.

5. Can iterated integrals be used to solve higher-dimensional problems?

Yes, iterated integrals can be extended to solve problems involving more than two variables, known as multiple integrals. These are commonly used in fields such as economics, where they are used to calculate the total value of a function over a multi-dimensional space.