Regenerative braking for bicycle

In summary: All you need is a little patience.In summary, the conversation is about using torsion springs as a way to store kinetic energy when braking on a bike. The person is also considering using compressed air but is having trouble designing a gear system for both options. They are asking for input and suggestions from others. Some potential concerns are raised about the added weight of such a system and the type of bike it would be suitable for. One person suggests using a flywheel and rubber cone system, mounted on a track and engaged/disengaged when needed.
iamthegelo
Hi,

I was wondering about the idea of having torsion springs as a means to store kinetic energy when braking in a bike. I've thought about using compressed air but I am having troubles designing a gear system for both so that you can get the energy back to accelerate from rest.

Can anyone give me some inputs? Me and my group are stuck.

Thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
Such a system would add weight. Would not the extra weight negate any benefit of the regenerative system. Also what kind of bike. engine powered or pedal powered. If its pedal powered I have no troble accelerating my pedal bikes. Thats what gearing is for.

I know people should be encouraged to think about new ideas, but I can't resist posting this...

fab612f9-ea3e-4f9c-888c-156ce2938a9a.jpg

(see this PF thread: https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=79028&page=275 )

Last edited by a moderator:
Use a flywheel with a rubber cone attached to it. Mount the assembly on a track that will keep the surface of the cone in contact with one of the tires. Design a mechanism that will allow you to disengage the system when stopped and re-engage when you want to use the stored KE.

The added weight becomes transparent once the vehicle is up to speed the first time.

Related to Regenerative braking for bicycle

1. What is regenerative braking for bicycles?

Regenerative braking for bicycles is a system that allows the bicycle to recover and store energy that is typically lost during braking. This energy is then used to power the bicycle, making it more energy-efficient.

2. How does regenerative braking work?

Regenerative braking works by converting the kinetic energy of the moving bicycle into electrical energy through a generator or motor. This electrical energy is then stored in a battery or capacitor, and can be used to power the bicycle.

3. What are the benefits of regenerative braking for bicycles?

The main benefit of regenerative braking for bicycles is increased energy efficiency. It also reduces wear and tear on the brakes, extending their lifespan. Additionally, regenerative braking can provide a smoother and more controlled braking experience.

4. Are there any limitations to regenerative braking for bicycles?

One limitation of regenerative braking for bicycles is that it is most effective at higher speeds and heavier loads. This means that it may not be as efficient for slower or lighter bicycles. Additionally, the initial cost of installing a regenerative braking system may be higher than traditional braking systems.

5. Is regenerative braking for bicycles environmentally friendly?

Yes, regenerative braking for bicycles is considered environmentally friendly because it reduces the amount of energy required to power the bicycle. This can lead to a decrease in greenhouse gas emissions and a smaller carbon footprint.