Regarding topics for thesis in Quantum Mechanics(for MS phy)

In summary, the speaker is seeking suggestions for their Masters thesis in Physics, specifically in the field of quantum mechanics. They have been advised to narrow down their topic and discuss it with an advisor, rather than asking an internet forum for suggestions. The focus of a Masters thesis is to gain knowledge and understanding in a specific area, rather than solving new problems.
rohitupreti
I have my thesis for Masters in Physics next academic year. I was thinking that for my thesis maybe i could solve a bunch of some new problems in quantum mechanics. I would be highly grateful if you people could suggest some problems to me.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
1) Quantum mechanics is a very broad field. I'm afraid you need to be more specific

2) This is really not something you should ask an internet forum. Rather you should be discussing this with an advisor.

3) Unless my experience is completely nonrepresentative (which is certainly possible!), then solving a bunch of new problems is not really the point of a masters thesis. The point is to choose a narrow topic and to investigate it quite deeply. If you happen to solve some problem during this, then good. But the goal of a masters thesis is not to solve problems, rather than to get acquainted with a new topic.

Related to Regarding topics for thesis in Quantum Mechanics(for MS phy)

1. What is Quantum Mechanics and why is it an important topic for thesis in MS Physics?

Quantum Mechanics is a branch of physics that deals with the behavior of particles on a microscopic scale. It is important for thesis topics in MS Physics because it helps us understand the fundamental laws that govern the behavior of matter and energy, and has opened up new areas of research in technology, medicine, and other fields.

2. What are some potential thesis topics in Quantum Mechanics for MS Physics students?

Some potential thesis topics in Quantum Mechanics for MS Physics students include quantum computing, quantum cryptography, quantum entanglement, quantum teleportation, and quantum field theory.

3. How can Quantum Mechanics be applied in real-world scenarios?

Quantum Mechanics has many practical applications, such as in the development of new technologies like quantum computers, in understanding the behavior of materials on a microscopic level, and in creating more accurate and efficient medical imaging techniques.

4. What are some current research trends in Quantum Mechanics that could make for interesting thesis topics?

Some current research trends in Quantum Mechanics include quantum simulation, quantum error correction, quantum algorithms, and quantum sensing. These could make for interesting and cutting-edge thesis topics for MS Physics students.

5. What skills and knowledge are necessary for studying Quantum Mechanics in depth for a thesis?

To study Quantum Mechanics in depth for a thesis, one should have a strong foundation in mathematical concepts such as linear algebra and calculus, as well as a good understanding of classical mechanics and electromagnetism. Additionally, knowledge of programming languages and experience with computational methods is useful for conducting simulations and data analysis in Quantum Mechanics research.