Regarding the biology of flying

In summary, during a viewing of "Jurassic World", the concept of a pterodactyl attacking sparked the question of whether there is a formula to determine the maximum weight a flying bird, bat, or pterodactyl can have given the force of gravity and atmospheric pressure. A presentation was found that derives a formula for this purpose. The conversation also touched on the unbelievable nature of the Pterodactyl attack and the current mass limits of flying creatures in our atmosphere.
Alan McIntire
I recently watched a rerun of "Jurassic World" on TV. Seeing the pterodactyl attack, I got to thinking;
Is there a formula to determine the maximum weight a flying bird, bat, pterodactyl, or whatever can have given the force of gravity g at the planet's surface, and the atmospheric pressure?

Biology news on Phys.org
jedishrfu said:
Check this presentation it derives a formula for that:

Thank you for the link. When I was watching the Pterodactyl attack, I thought it was unbelievable that any living creature could pick up a grown human.

The Texas Pterosaurs were supposed to have a mass of 100 up to 200 Kg. Nowadays, the most massive flying bird is the Kori Bustard, with a mass of about 20 Kg. I don't think more massive fliers can exist with our current atmosphere.

Related to Regarding the biology of flying

What is the biological mechanism behind flight?

The biological mechanism behind flight is known as aerodynamics. It involves the use of wings or other specialized appendages to create lift and generate thrust, allowing an organism to move through the air.

How do different species achieve flight?

Different species achieve flight through various adaptations. Some have wings, others have specialized muscles or body structures, and some even use a combination of both to fly.

What are the advantages of having the ability to fly?

The advantages of flight include increased mobility, the ability to escape predators, and access to new food sources or habitats. It also allows for long-distance migration and efficient foraging.

Are there any disadvantages to having the ability to fly?

While flight can provide many advantages, it also comes with some disadvantages. Flying requires a lot of energy, making it necessary for birds and other flying organisms to constantly search for food. It also makes them more vulnerable to certain environmental factors such as weather conditions.

Can flight be learned or trained?

Some species, such as birds, have evolved the ability to fly naturally. However, certain animals, like insects, may go through a developmental process known as metamorphosis, where they gain the ability to fly after undergoing physical changes. In terms of training, some birds can be taught to fly in a specific pattern or direction, but the ability to fly itself cannot be taught.