Regarding resistivity in heating coils

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between ohm level and heat in a heating element used in a device for vaporizing liquid. The question is whether increasing the resistance (higher ohm) in the heating element would result in more heat dissipation, or if it is the opposite. The conclusion is that for a fixed electrical energy, the heating rate increases with decreasing resistance.
s3nka
I have a question regarding "ohm level" in a heating element in the design of a device designed to vaporize a liquid.

I thought I had a pretty solid understanding of this but I've been told that I was wrong.

So, I thought that if you increase the resistance (higher ohm) in a heating element within a circuit you would also increase the amount of energy lost as heat which would also mean that the heating element would get hotter compared to a device with lower resistance (lower ohm).

Another designer told me that it's the other way around. The lower the "ohms" the hotter the heating element will become one the circuit is closed.

This makes absolutely no sense to me because in my understanding the larger the resistance the more energy is dissipated as heat and therefore the hotter the heating element becomes.

Could someone explain to me where I am making an error in my understanding?

Thank you ladies and gentlemen

Science news on Phys.org
Hi s3nka. Welcome to physics forums.

The heating rate is E2/R, so, for fixed E, the heating rate increases with decreasing resistance.

Chet

Thanks for the quick response but I still don't quite understand why that if you have more resistance there isn't more electrical energy lost as heat and as a result more heat dissipated by the heating element (resistor)

Because if the resistance is too high, not very much current is flowing.

Hello there,

Thank you for bringing up your question regarding resistivity in heating coils. I can understand how this may seem confusing, but let me provide some clarification.

First, it is important to understand that resistivity is a measure of a material's ability to resist the flow of electricity. This means that a material with high resistivity will require more electrical energy to flow through it compared to a material with lower resistivity.

In the case of heating coils, the resistivity of the material used will determine the amount of heat generated. This is because as electrical energy flows through the material, it encounters resistance and this resistance causes the energy to be converted into heat.

Now, to address your question about the "ohm level" in a heating element. The ohm level, or resistance level, does indeed play a role in determining the amount of heat generated. In general, a higher resistance (higher ohm) will result in more heat being generated compared to a lower resistance (lower ohm). This is because with higher resistance, there is more resistance for the electrical energy to overcome, resulting in more heat being generated.

In your understanding, you are correct in stating that a larger resistance will result in more energy being dissipated as heat and therefore a hotter heating element. The other designer may have been referring to the current passing through the heating element. In general, a lower resistance will allow for a higher current to flow through, which can result in a hotter heating element. However, this does not necessarily mean that a lower resistance will result in more heat being generated overall.

I hope this explanation has helped to clear up any confusion. If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to ask. Thank you.

Related to Regarding resistivity in heating coils

1. What is resistivity?

Resistivity is a measure of a material's ability to resist the flow of electric current. It is represented by the Greek letter rho (ρ) and is measured in ohm-meters (Ω*m).

2. How does resistivity affect heating coils?

The resistivity of a material is directly proportional to its resistance, which in turn affects the amount of heat produced in a heating coil. Higher resistivity means higher resistance, resulting in more heat generated.

3. What factors can affect the resistivity of a material used in heating coils?

The resistivity of a material can be influenced by its composition, temperature, and impurities present. In heating coils, the material's composition and temperature are the main factors that determine its resistivity.

4. How is resistivity calculated for a heating coil?

The resistivity of a heating coil can be calculated using the formula ρ = RA/L, where R is the resistance of the coil, A is its cross-sectional area, and L is its length. This formula takes into account the dimensions and material of the coil.

5. Can resistivity be changed in a heating coil?

Yes, resistivity can be altered by changing the material or dimensions of the heating coil. Using a material with higher resistivity or increasing the length of the coil will result in a higher resistivity and vice versa.