Regarding r and sign convention for Position vectors for moments

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of torque or moment of force about a point and a fixed axis. The participants also mention the calculation of the perpendicular and parallel components and how the fixed axis is not affected by the perpendicular component. They also discuss the definition of the moment about a fixed axis and mention that the parallel component is the same regardless of the chosen point on the axis.
7Lions

Homework Statement

34qqy3b.png

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm having trouble understanding how r1 = -1.5j and r2= r3 = 0.

Can anyone make this a little clearer for me? I've spent quite a while trying to wrap my head around it but to no avail.

Physics news on Phys.org
The torque with respect to a point A is [itex]\vec \tau = \vec r \times \vec F[/itex], where [itex] \vec r [/itex] is the position of the point of application of the force with respect to A. A has to be along the axis of rotation. The vector r1 (red in the picture) points from A to the application point of the forces.
attachment.php?attachmentid=66707&d=1392656774.jpg

ehild

Attachments

• torquer.JPG
    torquer.JPG
    11.3 KB · Views: 552
Last edited by a moderator:
Red in the picture? Did you post a picture soewhere? I'm unable to see it

Could it be that the picture in post 1 continues a bit more? r2 = r3 = 0 because those lines intersect AB at B and at A. At the lower edge I see a u##_{AB}## pop up and it might well continue with a calculation of the distance between r##_1## and u##_{AB}##

7lions: Do you have a definition for the moment of the force about an axis?
Do you know in what conditions this will be zero?

You have ##\vec \tau = \vec r \times \vec F## for the ##moment## about the axis prependicular to ##\vec r## and ##\vec F##. The axis "goes trhough" the origin of ##\vec r##.

Ah, I'm' "helping" nose, which is unnecessary, sorry. It looks as if the lions are asleep in the jungle tonight. I turn in too... :smile:

BvU said:
You have ##\vec \tau = \vec r \times \vec F## for the ##moment## about the axis prependicular to ##\vec r## and ##\vec F##. The axis "goes trhough" the origin of ##\vec r##.

Well, this is the torque (moment of the force) about a point.
The moment about a fixed axis is less frequently mentioned.
This is the reason I asked about it.

The definition I know is that you take any point on the axis and calculate the moment about that point. And then you find the component of the moment parallel to the axis. It turns out that no matter what point you choose on the axis, the parallel component is the same.
And this is the moment about the axis. The perpendicular component will try to rotate the axis. But as the axis is "fixed", this has no effect.

I just wanted to make sure that this is the definition the OP knows about.

Related to Regarding r and sign convention for Position vectors for moments

1. What is the r vector in terms of position moments?

The r vector, also known as the position vector, is a vector that describes the position of a point or object in space relative to a reference point.

2. How is the r vector represented in terms of sign convention?

In terms of sign convention, the r vector is represented by a positive value if it points in the same direction as the reference point, and by a negative value if it points in the opposite direction.

3. What is the significance of the r vector in calculating moments?

The r vector is crucial in calculating moments because it represents the distance between the point of interest and the reference point, which is a key factor in determining the magnitude of the moment.

4. How is the r vector used in determining the direction of moments?

The r vector is used to determine the direction of moments by following the right-hand rule. If the r vector points in the same direction as the force vector, the moment will be in the same direction. If the r vector points in the opposite direction, the moment will be in the opposite direction.

5. Can the r vector be used for moments in three-dimensional space?

Yes, the r vector can be used for moments in three-dimensional space. In this case, the r vector will have three components (x, y, z) and the cross product between the r vector and the force vector will be used to determine the magnitude and direction of the moment.