Regarding quasars not showing signs of time dilation.

In summary, the article discusses the phenomenon of time dilation in distant quasars and how it appears to be absent in some cases. Possible explanations for this include the possibility of intrinsic redshift or differences in the time-varying processes within the quasars. The paper also mentions that this does not contradict relativity or current cosmological theories. The conversation also touches on the concept of "riding" on expanding spacetime and the limitations of our frame of reference in understanding the velocity of distant objects.
theouthouse66
Here's the article

http://news.discovery.com/space/no-time-dilation-for-distant-quasars.html

So the distant quasar is more red-shifted than the closer one, which means the farther one is traveling at a higher velocity, makes sense. My thought is if the quasar is "riding" if you will, on a piece of expanding spacetime, maybe it is not time dilating because it is not moving through spacetime. Similar to the whole thing about riding a piece of warped space to travel faster than light. Any thoughts?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I have similar thoughts about spacetime. Let's take the farthest known star. By our FOR, velocity for that star is near c. Time dilation reaches infinity. So we see very old star (a star that lived 14 billions years ago (and now is 28 ly away). But 14 billion years have passed, and now that star probably doesn't exist at all. Basically that star doesn't move in spacetime at all. It's the spacetime who moves the star.

Now let's take a star that we see 7 ly ago (2 times less). If the distance between that star and the star that we see 14 ly ago is 2 times less that means, that there is no time dilation for farther stars

Last edited:
theouthouse66 said:
Here's the article

http://news.discovery.com/space/no-time-dilation-for-distant-quasars.html So the distant quasar is more red-shifted than the closer one, which means the farther one is traveling at a higher velocity, makes sense. My thought is if the quasar is "riding" if you will, on a piece of expanding spacetime, maybe it is not time dilating because it is not moving through spacetime. Similar to the whole thing about riding a piece of warped space to travel faster than light. Any thoughts?

I'm not sure what you mean, or even whether what you're saying is meaningful.

In general what we see primarily depends on the rate of change of the total length of the light path from the quasar. If it is increasing, regardless of the interpretation as to why, then we should not only see the intrinsic spectrum of the quasar to be red-shifted as a result, but we should also see any local variations in the region of the quasar to be time-dilated by exactly the same factor.

In this case, the experimental results suggest that the characteristic time of output variations in the quasar varies less between quasars than the factor corresponding to their spectral redshift. This primarily suggests either (a) that a significant part of the quasar redshift is not distance-related (that is, quasars have significant intrinsic redshift, a very controversial position taken by Halton Arp and his supporters) or (b) that the rate of local variation of output with time in the region of a quasar varies with the age of the quasar in such a way that more distant (hence younger) quasars vary faster, very coincidentally matching and nullifying the effect of the increased time dilation. Various other alternative explanations have also been suggested, for example if the observed variation is due to intervening objects rather than being local to the quasar (so the expected frequency of intervening objects would increase with distance), or if there is some experimental bias relating to the way in which time variation is observed at different distances because of the observation methods. However, one way or another, some odd results have been observed which are currently in need of a good explanation.

Last edited by a moderator:
Myslius said:
I have similar thoughts about spacetime. Let's take the farthest known star. By our FOR, velocity for that star is near c. Time dilation reaches infinity. So we see very old star (a star that lived 14 billions years ago (and now is 28 ly away). But 14 billion years have passed, and now that star probably doesn't exist at all. Basically that star doesn't move in spacetime at all. It's the spacetime who moves the star.

Now let's take a star that we see 7 ly ago (2 times less). If the distance between that star and the star that we see 14 ly ago is 2 times less that means, that there is no time dilation for farther stars

Sorry, I can't make sense of this, but as I already mentioned, an increasing light path from a distant object causes both redshifts in intrinsic spectrum and time dilation in intrinsic time varying processes, both involving exactly the same factor. If the relative factors do not match for different collections of quasars this suggests that either the objects have different intrinsic redshift or that the time varying processes are different for some other reason (or both).

Here is the actual paper:http://arxiv.org/abs/1004.1824 Here's a quote from the abstract:
Several explanations are discussed, including the possibility that time dilation effects are exactly offset by an increase in timescale of variation associated with black hole growth, or that the variations are caused by microlensing in which case time dilation would not be expected.
Neither of these two explanations is of the "OMG, relativity is wrong," or "OMG, cosmology isn't what we thought" variety.

theouthouse66 said:
My thought is if the quasar is "riding" if you will, on a piece of expanding spacetime, maybe it is not time dilating because it is not moving through spacetime. Similar to the whole thing about riding a piece of warped space to travel faster than light.
I assume you're thinking of the Alcubierre drive? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alcubierre_drive No, it's not a spacetime that could occur naturally.

Myslius said:
By our FOR, velocity for that star is near c. time dilation reaches infinity.
Our frame of reference doesn't extend over cosmological distances. That's why there's no uniquely defined way of saying how fast a distant quasar is moving "now" relative to us. In the most commonly used coordinates, the coordinate velocities of the most distant galaxies that we can observe are greater than c. See http://arxiv.org/abs/astro-ph/0310808

I think there is also the assumption that QSO's are in some sense identical, at least in their light curves. I think that's at least questionable.

Vanadium 50 said:
I think there is also the assumption that QSO's are in some sense identical, at least in their light curves. I think that's at least questionable.

Yes, and that's made explicit in the abstract of the paper: "Several explanations are discussed, including the possibility that time dilation effects are exactly offset by an increase in timescale of variation associated with black hole growth, [...]"

Related to Regarding quasars not showing signs of time dilation.

1. What are quasars?

Quasars, or quasi-stellar objects, are extremely bright and distant objects in the universe that emit large amounts of energy and radiation. They are believed to be powered by supermassive black holes at the center of galaxies.

2. What is time dilation?

Time dilation is a phenomenon in which time appears to pass slower for an object in motion compared to a stationary object. This is due to the effects of gravity and the speed of light.

3. Why is it significant that quasars do not show signs of time dilation?

It is significant because according to the theory of relativity, time dilation should occur for objects that are moving at high speeds or in strong gravitational fields. The fact that quasars, which are known to be moving at high speeds, do not show signs of time dilation challenges our current understanding of the universe and may require a new explanation.

4. How do scientists study time dilation in quasars?

Scientists study time dilation in quasars by analyzing their light spectra. The spectra can reveal information about the velocity and distance of the quasar, which can then be used to calculate the amount of time dilation that should be observed. Scientists also use computer simulations and mathematical models to study the effects of time dilation on quasars.

5. What are some proposed explanations for the lack of time dilation in quasars?

Some proposed explanations include the possibility that our understanding of time dilation is incomplete or incorrect, or that there are unknown factors at play in the behavior of quasars. Other theories suggest that the observed lack of time dilation could be due to the effects of dark energy or the expansion of the universe.