Why Doesn't Gold Work for Jumping Rings?

In summary, the conversation is about the jumping rings demonstration, where different types of metal are tested to see if they can be lifted by an alternating magnetic field. Aluminium, silver, iron, and steel all work as expected, but gold does not. Mike suggests that maybe the gold used was not real gold, but Dario confirms that it is an 18ct gold wedding ring. They discuss possible reasons why gold may not work, including its density, magnetic permeability, and electric permetivity.
mike
Guys & Gals

Everyone has seen the jumping rings demonstration….

Aluminium works fine, so does silver, iron and steel just stick to the coil

Cut slots or drill holes in the disks and you get what you would expect

BUT…

Why doesn’t gold work?

Cheers

Mike

Physics news on Phys.org
Sorry, I have no clue what you are talking about but it sounds interesting so if you want to add some detail I will gladly learn more about it

Dario

Now I know what a jumping ring is but I am still clueless about what could make gold and silver behave differently in such an experiment. Is it a well known fact or something you have tried personally?
Because the first thing I would think about is "was your gold real gold?"...

;) Dario

18ct gold wedding ring, not quite pure but very close

mike

Originally posted by mike
18ct gold wedding ring, not quite pure but very close

mike

have to say its curious gold wouldnt

1. do you know the answer?
2. did you actually try it?

the way I interpret your post you actually did try it
and are puzzled like us

were the other rings you tried substantially bigger
or smaller than the gold finger-ring?

has the gold ring been cut and soldered closed?
sometimes rings passed down in the family
have had the size adjusted by removing a small
section

dont see how either should make any difference but
would like to know. sounds quite bizarre that gold would not jump

I wonder if the density matters.

gold is heavier than aluminum

Maybe it has something to do with gold's magnetic permeability or electric permetivity...

1. What are jumping rings eddy currents?

Jumping rings eddy currents are a phenomenon that occurs when a conducting material, such as a metal ring, is dropped onto a strong magnetic field. The magnetic field induces a current in the ring, creating a secondary magnetic field that interacts with the original field. This interaction causes the ring to jump or move in an unexpected manner.

2. How do jumping rings eddy currents work?

Jumping rings eddy currents work through the principles of electromagnetism. When a conducting material, like a metal ring, is dropped onto a magnetic field, the changing magnetic field induces a current in the ring. This current, in turn, creates a secondary magnetic field that opposes the original field, causing the ring to jump or move in a direction perpendicular to the original field.

3. What can jumping rings eddy currents be used for?

Jumping rings eddy currents have no practical use, but they are often used as a demonstration in physics classes to illustrate the principles of electromagnetism. They can also be used to study the effects of magnetic fields on conducting materials and to explore the properties of different types of metals.

4. Are jumping rings eddy currents dangerous?

No, jumping rings eddy currents are not dangerous. They are a natural and harmless phenomenon that occurs due to the interaction of magnetic fields and conducting materials. However, it is important to be cautious when working with strong magnetic fields, as they can have other potential hazards.

5. Can jumping rings eddy currents be controlled?

Jumping rings eddy currents cannot be controlled, as they are a natural occurrence that follows the laws of electromagnetism. However, their behavior can be influenced by changing the strength or orientation of the magnetic field, as well as the properties of the conducting material. This can result in different patterns or movements of the jumping ring.