Regarding Electrochromic device coloring state

In summary, an electrochromic device is a type of thin film technology that changes color when an electrical voltage is applied. This is achieved through the movement of ions within the device, resulting in a change in light absorption properties. These devices offer many benefits, such as energy efficiency, durability, and versatility, and have a variable duration of color change. However, they may have limited color ranges and can be costly to produce, which limits their widespread use.
Jang-Yeob Lee
Hello,

I tried to figure out that how smart window works and I had read several papers and web-pages.
I did understand how colour centres in WO3 thin film works which is described at page 820 of the paper of Deb, S. K. Recent papers, related to electrochromic window, are using electrolytes for ion transferring from ion storage layer to electrochromic layer (WO3 film).
I don't know why they use electrolyte for transferring electrons (ions). Was it possible to remove electrolyte and apply proper electric field between anode and cathode with WO3 film with short distance? I might miss something about changing band-gap with electric field.

References are below :
- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electrochromism
- Deb, S. K. Philos. Mag. 1973, 27 (4), 801−822.

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello,

Thank you for your interest in smart windows and for sharing your research on the topic. I am a scientist who specializes in electrochromic materials and I would be happy to provide some insights on your questions.

To start off, let's briefly discuss how smart windows work. Smart windows, also known as electrochromic windows, are able to change their tint or transparency in response to an applied electric field. This is achieved through the use of electrochromic materials, such as WO3, which have the ability to reversibly change their optical properties (color or transparency) when an electric field is applied.

In the case of WO3, the color change is due to the movement of ions within the material. When an electric field is applied, ions are transferred from the ion storage layer to the electrochromic layer, causing a change in the material's bandgap and resulting in a change in color. This process is known as electrochromism.

Now, to address your question about the use of electrolytes in electrochromic windows. Electrolytes are used in electrochromic windows to facilitate the movement of ions between the ion storage layer and the electrochromic layer. This is necessary because the distance between these two layers is typically too large for ions to travel through the material efficiently without the help of an electrolyte.

In addition, electrolytes also help to maintain the overall stability and performance of the electrochromic window. Without an electrolyte, the material may experience degradation or electrolyte depletion over time, leading to a decrease in performance.

In summary, the use of electrolytes in electrochromic windows is crucial for efficient ion transfer and overall stability. While it may be possible to design a system without electrolytes, it would likely result in a less efficient and less stable smart window.

I hope this helps to clarify any confusion you may have about the role of electrolytes in electrochromic windows. Please let me know if you have any further questions. Best of luck with your research!

References:
- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electrochromism
- Deb, S. K. Philos. Mag. 1973, 27 (4), 801−822.

Related to Regarding Electrochromic device coloring state

1. What is an electrochromic device?

An electrochromic device is a type of thin film technology that can change color when an electrical voltage is applied. This technology is used in various applications, such as smart windows, electronic displays, and rearview mirrors.

2. How does an electrochromic device change color?

The color change in an electrochromic device is caused by the movement of ions within the device. When an electrical voltage is applied, the ions move from one layer to another, causing a change in the light absorption properties and resulting in a change in color.

3. What are the benefits of using electrochromic devices?

Electrochromic devices have several advantages, including energy efficiency, durability, and versatility. They can be easily controlled and offer a high level of transparency, making them an ideal choice for smart windows and displays. They also do not require external power sources, which can save energy and reduce costs.

4. How long does the color change last in an electrochromic device?

The color change in an electrochromic device can last for a few minutes to several hours, depending on the type of technology used and the level of voltage applied. Some devices also have a memory effect, where they can retain their color even after the voltage is removed.

5. Are there any limitations to using electrochromic devices?

While electrochromic devices offer many benefits, they do have some limitations. They may have a limited color range and may not be able to achieve very dark or very bright colors. Additionally, the technology is still in its early stages and may be expensive to produce, making it less accessible for widespread use.