Regarding electric potential with respect to a negative charge

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between electric potential and distance from a source charge. It is noted that for a negative source charge, electric potential increases as distance increases, while for a positive charge, potential energy increases as distance decreases. The confusion arises when considering the acceleration of electrons in this scenario. The explanation given is that although the change in electric potential may be positive, the negative charge of the electron results in a negative change in potential energy, causing a loss of potential energy as it moves away from the source charge. The final response confirms the explanation as correct.
needingtoknow

Homework Statement

If I have a electric source charge, does that mean that electric potential increases as r increases (because it gets increasingly less negative as you go farther from the source charge) as opposed to a positive charge in which potential energy would increase as r decreases?

The reason I am asking this question is because I am confused as to why electrons would accelerate as they reach a point of higher potential. For instance, if an electron moves away from a negative source charge that would mean that the change in electric potential is positive. However it's charge is negative so that means the change in PE is -ve, which means that it has lost potential energy as it moves away from the source charge. Is this explanation correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
needingtoknow said:

Homework Statement

If I have a electric source charge,
I think you meant to specify a negative electric source charge
does that mean that electric potential increases as r increases (because it gets increasingly less negative as you go farther from the source charge) as opposed to a positive charge in which potential energy would increase as r decreases?

The reason I am asking this question is because I am confused as to why electrons would accelerate as they reach a point of higher potential. For instance, if an electron moves away from a negative source charge that would mean that the change in electric potential is positive. However it's charge is negative so that means the change in PE is -ve, which means that it has lost potential energy as it moves away from the source charge. Is this explanation correct?
Yes.

Well great, simple and to the point answer. I love it! Haha thank you haruspex!

Related to Regarding electric potential with respect to a negative charge

What is electric potential?

Electric potential is a measure of the amount of energy that a charged particle possesses at a given point in space. It is related to the electric field and the distance from the source of the electric field.

How is electric potential different for a negative charge?

For a negative charge, the electric potential decreases as the distance from the charge increases. This means that the potential energy of a negative charge decreases as it moves away from other negative charges.

What is the unit of measurement for electric potential?

The unit of measurement for electric potential is the volt (V). One volt is equivalent to one joule per coulomb.

How is electric potential related to work?

Electric potential is related to work through the equation W = qΔV, where q is the charge and ΔV is the change in electric potential. This equation represents the work required to move a charged particle against an electric potential difference.

What is the difference between electric potential and electric potential energy?

Electric potential is a measure of the energy per unit charge at a specific point in space, while electric potential energy is the total potential energy of a charged particle in an electric field. In other words, electric potential is a property of the electric field, while electric potential energy is a property of the charged particle.