Regarding College Classical Mechanics and the mathematics therein

In summary, if you are attending a freshman level physics class for physics and engineering majors, it is recommended to review basic trigonometry and practice algebra. The class will use some calculus, but it is not the main focus. It is important to be able to solve equations symbolically and perform algebraic manipulations to simplify derivations. This will save time and make calculations easier.
Matthewkind
I'll be attending college in a few months, and I would like to know what mathematics to study in order to understand my classical mechanics class. Could anyone help me? I've heard that I should know ODEs and PDEs but I didn't think such math was required. Is this true? And what should I be studying if not? I don't think I'm taking algebraic physics, so I know calculus will be included. At any rate, thanks and please assist me! =D

Physics news on Phys.org
If this is a typical freshman level introductory physics class for physics and engineering majors, it will use a little bit of calculus, but not much, and mostly to simplify certain derivations. You'll get the most "bang for the buck" or "bang for the hour" by reviewing basic trignometry, and practicing your algebra.

In particular you should be able to solve equations symbolically, that is, rearrange an equation that has mostly variables, not numbers, so as to get a new equation that isolates one variable on the left side. You'll find that it is generally much preferred to do as much of the algebra as possible, symbolically, and then plug in numbers at the end and do the arithmetic in one shot, instead of plugging in the numbers first and then doing a lot of arithmetic while rearranging the equation.

Related to Regarding College Classical Mechanics and the mathematics therein

1. What is Classical Mechanics?

Classical Mechanics is a branch of physics that deals with the study of motion and its causes. It is based on the laws of motion and gravitation laid out by Isaac Newton in the 17th century.

2. How is Classical Mechanics related to college?

Classical Mechanics is often taught as a core subject in college-level physics courses. It is an important foundation for understanding more advanced topics in physics and engineering, and is also commonly applied in other sciences such as chemistry and biology.

3. What mathematics is used in Classical Mechanics?

Classical Mechanics relies heavily on the use of calculus, specifically differential and integral calculus. Vector calculus, linear algebra, and differential equations are also commonly used in solving problems related to motion and forces.

4. What are some real-world applications of Classical Mechanics?

Classical Mechanics is essential for understanding and predicting the motion of objects in our everyday lives, such as the motion of cars, projectiles, and celestial bodies. It is also crucial in the design and engineering of structures, machines, and vehicles.

5. How can I improve my understanding of Classical Mechanics?

To improve your understanding of Classical Mechanics, it is important to practice solving problems and to develop a strong foundation in the mathematical concepts used in this field. You can also read textbooks and attend lectures or workshops to deepen your knowledge and gain a deeper understanding of the subject.