Regarding cardinality and mapping between sets.

In summary, the statement "if ##\vert A\vert\leq\vert B\vert## then there exist an injection from ##A## to ##B##" is not always true, as it is a common mistake in mathematics to use "if" instead of "iff" when defining a concept. This has caused confusion for many in the past.
Terrell
why is not always true that if ##\vert A\vert\leq\vert B\vert## then there exist an injection from ##A## to ##B##?

Physics news on Phys.org
Terrell said:
why is not always true that if ##\vert A\vert\leq\vert B\vert## then there exist an injection from ##A## to ##B##?

Who told you that?

By definition ##|A| \leq |B|## iff there exists an injection ##A \to B##

Likes Terrell
Math_QED said:
Who told you that?

By definition ##|A| \leq |B|## iff there exists an injection ##A \to B##
I think saying that me saying that it's not always true is too strong of a statement, but what really happened is I couldn't find any sources that mentions that it must be an if and only if statement. Thank you a lot! It has cause me a lot of unnecessary thinking lol!

Terrell said:
I think saying that me saying that it's not always true is too strong of a statement, but what really happened is I couldn't find any sources that mentions that it must be an if and only if statement. Thank you a lot! It has cause me a lot of unnecessary thinking lol!

That's common in mathematics. When one writes a definition one often says "if" while it should be "iff". I remember it confused me in the beginning too!

Likes Terrell

Related to Regarding cardinality and mapping between sets.

What is cardinality and why is it important?

Cardinality refers to the number of elements in a set. It is important in mathematics and computer science because it helps us understand the size and structure of a set, and can be used to compare and classify sets.

What is the difference between one-to-one and onto mappings?

A one-to-one mapping, also known as a bijection, is a function where each element in the domain is paired with exactly one element in the range. An onto mapping, also known as a surjection, is a function where every element in the range has at least one corresponding element in the domain. In other words, a one-to-one mapping is a perfect pairing, while an onto mapping is a complete pairing.

How do you determine if two sets have the same cardinality?

If there exists a one-to-one correspondence between the elements of two sets, then they have the same cardinality. This means that each element in one set is paired with a unique element in the other set, and vice versa.

Can a set have a higher cardinality than its power set?

Yes, it is possible for a set to have a higher cardinality than its power set. For example, the set of real numbers has a higher cardinality than its power set, which is the set of all possible subsets of real numbers.

What is the Cantor-Bernstein-Schroder theorem and how is it related to cardinality?

The Cantor-Bernstein-Schroder theorem states that if there exists a one-to-one mapping between two sets, then those sets have the same cardinality. This theorem helps us compare the sizes of sets and is often used in proofs involving cardinality.