Refrigerator and its light bulb

In summary, the interior lighting of refrigerators is provided by incandescent lamps that are controlled by the refrigerator door. If the switch malfunctions and the 30-W lightbulb remains on constantly, the refrigerator's energy consumption will increase. With a COP of 1.4 and an electricity cost of Rp 1200/kWh, the monthly cost will also rise if the switch is not fixed. Assuming the refrigerator is opened 50 times a day for an average of 30 seconds, the total energy required can be calculated using COP equations. It is important to also consider the 30 W of electricity consumed by the bulb in the total cost.
wildanpradana
The interior lighting of the refrigerators is provided by
incandescent lamps whose switches are actuated by the opening of the
refrigerator door. Consider a refrigerator whose 30-W lightbulb
remains on continuously as a result of a malfunction of the switch. If
the refrigerator has a COP of 1.4 and the cost of electricity is Rp
1200/kWh, determine the increase in the energy consumption of the
refrigerator and its cost per month (1 month = 30 days) if the switch
is not fixed. Assuming the refrigerator is opened 50 times a day for
an average of 30 s.

COP= QL/(QH-QL)
COP= Qin/Win

Please help me for this. thanks a lot!

Physics news on Phys.org
wildanpradana said:
The interior lighting of the refrigerators is provided by
incandescent lamps whose switches are actuated by the opening of the
refrigerator door. Consider a refrigerator whose 30-W lightbulb
remains on continuously as a result of a malfunction of the switch. If
the refrigerator has a COP of 1.4 and the cost of electricity is Rp
1200/kWh, determine the increase in the energy consumption of the
refrigerator and its cost per month (1 month = 30 days) if the switch
is not fixed. Assuming the refrigerator is opened 50 times a day for
an average of 30 s.

COP= QL/(QH-QL)
COP= Qin/Win
You will have to show us your thoughts on this. To start, what is the rate of work that the refrigerator motor has to do to remove 30 W of heat?

AM

When you've worked out the energy required for the refrigerator to pump out the heat, don't forget to add the original 30W of electricity consumed by the bulb to the total. It's all got to be paid for!

Last edited:

Related to Refrigerator and its light bulb

1. How do I replace the light bulb in my refrigerator?

To replace the light bulb in your refrigerator, first unplug the refrigerator and locate the light bulb cover. Remove the cover and unscrew the old bulb. Then, screw in a new bulb and replace the cover. Finally, plug the refrigerator back in.

2. Why is the light in my refrigerator not turning on?

There are a few possible reasons why the light in your refrigerator may not be turning on. First, check to make sure the light bulb is not burned out by replacing it with a new one. If the light still does not turn on, there may be an issue with the light switch or the wiring in the refrigerator. It is best to consult a professional for further troubleshooting.

3. Can I use any type of light bulb in my refrigerator?

No, it is important to use the correct type of light bulb for your refrigerator. Most refrigerators use a standard incandescent bulb, but some newer models may use a different type of bulb such as an LED. Check your refrigerator's manual or consult a professional to determine the correct type of light bulb to use.

4. How long do refrigerator light bulbs typically last?

The lifespan of a refrigerator light bulb can vary depending on usage, but on average they can last anywhere from 2-5 years. If you notice your light bulb burning out more frequently, there may be an underlying issue with your refrigerator's electrical system.

5. Can I leave the light on in my refrigerator when it is not in use?

Yes, it is safe to leave the light on in your refrigerator when it is not in use. The light bulb is designed to be energy efficient and will not significantly impact your electricity bill. However, if you will not be using your refrigerator for an extended period of time, it is recommended to unplug it to save energy.