Refrigerant Gas Pressure for AC

In summary: This is why a lower pressure, around 20 psi, is needed to maintain the appropriate temperature in a mortuary.
Varadha
Recently we had a troubleshooting session on our Split type Air conditioner and the mechanic refilled the refrigerant gas to 70 psi pressure. He had been working in a medical college cum hospital and having specialized in AC and refrigeration, he said that mortuaries are being refrigerated to 4*C and they require a R-22 pressure of around 20 psi. And I am struck with this:

If at home, the cooling is insufficient, we increase the pressure to around 70 psi. But why is it that we have to maintain the pressure of refrigerant at around 20 psi for centralized AC in mortuaries? In the former case, gas pressure is directly proportional to cooling effect apparently and it is converse in the latter case. How is it evident?

Engineering news on Phys.org
The reason why the refrigerant pressure in a mortuary needs to be maintained at a much lower level than a home AC system is because of the difference in temperature requirements. In a home AC system, the temperature needs to be kept cool enough for people to be comfortable. Whereas in a mortuary, the temperature needs to be kept very cold, usually around 4*C, in order to preserve the bodies and prevent the spread of any bacteria or other contaminants. Therefore, a higher pressure of refrigerant would cause the temperature to drop too low and could damage the bodies or other equipment in the room.

Related to Refrigerant Gas Pressure for AC

1. What is refrigerant gas pressure and why is it important for an AC?

Refrigerant gas pressure is the force exerted by the refrigerant inside an AC system. It is important because it allows the refrigerant to absorb and release heat, which is necessary for cooling the air in your home.

2. How do I know if my AC's refrigerant gas pressure is too low?

If your AC is not cooling your home as effectively as it used to, or if you notice ice buildup on the indoor or outdoor unit, it may be a sign that your refrigerant gas pressure is too low. You may also notice higher energy bills and strange noises coming from your AC.

3. What can cause a decrease in refrigerant gas pressure?

A decrease in refrigerant gas pressure can be caused by a leak in the system, improper installation, or a malfunctioning compressor. It can also be due to wear and tear over time.

4. How can I check the refrigerant gas pressure in my AC?

Checking the refrigerant gas pressure should only be done by a trained professional. They will use specialized tools to measure the pressure and determine if it is at the correct level. This should be done regularly during routine maintenance visits.

5. Can I add refrigerant gas to my AC on my own?

No, adding refrigerant gas to your AC should only be done by a licensed HVAC technician. They have the proper training and tools to safely handle and add refrigerant to your AC system. Attempting to do it yourself can be dangerous and may cause further damage to your AC.