Refraction & Special Relativity: Can Photons Convert to Mass?

• Thread starter haloshade
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Refraction
In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of photons temporarily converting into partial mass during light refraction. However, it is stated that photons cannot have mass, but they can convert into other particles with rest mass. The equation e=(mc^2)/sqrt(1-v^2/c^2) is mentioned, but it is clarified that it is not applicable to photons as they have zero rest mass. The equation E=hf is suggested as a way to calculate the energy of a photon.
haloshade
Hello, new comer to realitivity here.

My friend and I were wondering if when light refracts if the photons temporarly convert back into partial mass.

Through my understanding of e=(mc^2)/sqrt(1-v^2/c^2) it appears as if they would, but since photons have an infinite amount of energy backing them up, then is it even possible for them to even reach a stage of having mass?

edit: sorry for my bad grammar, english has never been my strong point.

Physics news on Phys.org
haloshade said:
Hello, new comer to realitivity here.

My friend and I were wondering if when light refracts if the photons temporarly convert back into partial mass.
A photon can never have mass, but it is possible for a photon to convert into other particles which do have rest mass. I don't know exactly what happens when light refracts, but see post #4 here for a good discussion of why light slows down in a medium like water, basically involving the photons being repeatedly absorbed and re-emitted.
haloshade said:
Through my understanding of e=(mc^2)/sqrt(1-v^2/c^2) it appears as if they would, but since photons have an infinite amount of energy backing them up
No, photons only have a finite amount of energy--keep in mind that the "m" in that equation is the rest mass, which would be zero for a photon, so the equation just gives the undefined answer 0/0. To find the energy of a photon you have to use the quantum equation E=hf, where f is the photon's frequency and h is Planck's constant.

Hello there! Welcome to the world of relativity. Your question is a very interesting one and it has been a topic of discussion among physicists for a long time. Let's dive into it.

Firstly, let's clarify what refraction is. Refraction is the bending of light as it passes through a different medium, such as from air to water. This bending is caused by the change in the speed of light in the different medium. So, the photons themselves are not converting into mass, but rather their path is being altered.

Now, to answer your question about whether photons can temporarily convert into mass, the short answer is no. According to Einstein's theory of special relativity, mass and energy are two forms of the same thing. This means that energy can be converted into mass and vice versa. However, photons are massless particles and they always travel at the speed of light, which is the maximum speed allowed in the universe. This means that they cannot have any mass, even temporarily.

As you mentioned, the equation E=mc^2 shows the relationship between energy and mass. However, this equation only applies to particles that are at rest or moving at speeds much slower than the speed of light. Photons, on the other hand, are always moving at the speed of light and therefore the equation does not apply to them.

So, in conclusion, photons cannot convert into mass, even temporarily, because they are always traveling at the speed of light and have no mass to begin with. However, they can interact with matter and their energy can be transferred to particles with mass, causing them to move or vibrate.

I hope this answers your question. Keep exploring the fascinating world of relativity!

Related to Refraction & Special Relativity: Can Photons Convert to Mass?

1. What is refraction?

Refraction is the bending of light as it passes from one medium to another. This occurs because light travels at different speeds in different mediums, causing it to change direction.

2. How does refraction relate to special relativity?

In special relativity, the speed of light is considered to be constant, regardless of the observer's frame of reference. This means that the speed of light remains the same even when it passes through different mediums, resulting in refraction.

3. Can photons convert to mass?

No, photons cannot convert to mass. According to Einstein's famous equation E=mc², energy and mass are equivalent but interchangeable. Photons, which are particles of light, do not have mass, so they cannot convert to mass.

4. Can special relativity explain the phenomenon of refraction?

Yes, special relativity can explain refraction. It states that objects appear to be moving slower when observed from a different frame of reference. In the case of refraction, the speed of light appears to be slower when observed from a different medium, resulting in the bending of light.

5. How does refraction impact our daily lives?

Refraction plays a crucial role in our daily lives. It allows us to see objects through lenses, such as glasses and contact lenses, which correct for refractive errors in our eyes. It also enables us to see images through the lenses of cameras, telescopes, and microscopes. Refraction is also essential in many scientific and technological applications, such as fiber optics and laser technology.