Refraction of wavefront in water

In summary, the discussion is about how water waves behave when passing from shallow to deep water. The question is whether the waves will bend towards or away from the normal when crossing the interface. The answer depends on whether the waves speed up or slow down when going from shallow to deep water. It is mentioned that the speed of waves in deep water depends on the frequency, while in shallow water, it depends on the depth. Some suggest that the waves may actually slow down when moving into the deeper region, which would result in the refracted ray bending towards the normal. The given answer is that the refracted ray bends away from the normal and the perpendicular wavefront is labeled as I. It is also mentioned that the direction of the ray for
Jahnavi

Homework Statement

Wavefront.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I think the water waves will undergo refraction from the interface and since it is denser , it should bend towards the normal .

By that logic 4) should be correct , but this is incorrect .

I might be applying wrong concept in this problem .

Attachments

• Wavefront.png
    Wavefront.png
    12.7 KB · Views: 1,009
Physics news on Phys.org
You will need to know how the wave speed in deep water compares to the wave speed in shallow water. Deeper is not analogous to denser.

TSny said:
Deeper is not analogous to denser.

This is mentioned in the problem statement .

Jahnavi said:
This is mentioned in the problem statement .
Yes. That seems strange to me. Anyway, the answer will depend on whether water waves speed up or slow down when passing from shallow to deep. A web search should provide the answer.

Likes Jahnavi
TSny said:
Anyway, the answer will depend on whether water waves speed up or slow down when passing from shallow to deep.

Water waves will speed up , which means the deeper region acts as rarer medium for waves . Waves should bend away from normal .

But then which one bends away from normal ?

I like to think in terms of rays rather than wavefronts when considering "bending toward the normal" or "away from the normal". So, I find it helpful to draw some rays as well as wavefronts.

If the waves travel faster in the deep water, then do the rays bend toward or away from the normal when crossing the interface?

(I'm not feeling confident about this problem due to the reference to "denser".)

By the way arrow in the picture represents a ray ?

TSny said:
If the waves travel faster in the deep water, then do the rays bend toward or away from the normal when crossing the interface?

Away from normal .

And since wavefront would be perpendicular to refracted ray , option 2) looks a possible option as the refracted wavefront .

Is that correct ?

Jahnavi said:
By the way arrow in the picture represents a ray ?
Yes
Away from normal .
Yes

And since wavefront would be perpendicular to refracted ray , option 2) looks a possible option as the refracted wavefront .
How would the direction of a ray for wavefront II compare to the direction of the ray in the shallow region?

I hope I'm not misleading you regarding the change in wave speed. The speed of waves in very deep water depends on the frequency of the waves while the speed of waves in very shallow water depends on the depth of the water and not the frequency. For intermediate depths the speed depends on both the frequency and depth. So, I'm not sure it's generally true that waves speed up when suddenly going from a shallow region to a deep region. I was thinking of the explanation that some people give for why ocean waves "break" when approaching the beach. They claim it's due to the waves slowing down as they move into the shallow region. Maybe the problem is intending you to use the reference to "denser" as indicating that the waves actually slow down in going to the deeper region. Hopefully, others will provide some guidance.

Likes Jahnavi
TSny said:
Maybe the problem is intending you to use the reference to "denser" as indicating that the waves actually slow down in going to the deeper region.

Assuming this , the refracted ray bends towards the normal .The wavefront which is perpendicular to this refracted ray is I) which is actually the given answer :smile:

If you assume for the time being that deeper is denser , then would you agree that refracted ray bends towards the normal and refracted wavefront would be I ) ?

Jahnavi said:
Assuming this , the refracted ray bends towards the normal .The wavefront which is perpendicular to this refracted ray is I) which is actually the given answer :smile:

If you assume for the time being that deeper is denser , then would you agree that refracted ray bends towards the normal and refracted wavefront would be I ) ?
Yes!

Likes Jahnavi
Thanks !

Related to Refraction of wavefront in water

What is the definition of refraction?

Refraction is the bending of a wave when it enters a medium with a different speed.

How does refraction occur in water?

When a wave enters water, it slows down due to the change in medium and the change in speed causes the wave to bend.

What factors affect the amount of refraction in water?

The amount of refraction in water is affected by the angle of incidence, the difference in speed between the two mediums, and the wavelength of the wave.

What is the law of refraction?

The law of refraction states that the incident angle, the angle of the wave before it enters the medium, and the refracted angle, the angle of the wave after it enters the medium, are related by the ratio of the speeds of the wave in the two mediums.

How is the speed of a wave related to its wavelength?

The speed of a wave is inversely proportional to its wavelength. This means that as the wavelength decreases, the speed of the wave increases, and vice versa.