Refraction of light through a prism

In summary, the conversation discusses the refraction of light through a prism and the angles of incidence and refraction involved. The members are seeking clarification on the angles and their qualifications in relation to the direction of the light. The solution considers a glass prism in air and explains that both i2 and r2 can be either angles of incidence or refraction depending on the direction of the light.
logearav

Homework Statement

Revered members,
Please see my attachment which deals with refraction of light through a prism. PQ is incident ray, QR is refracted ray and RS is emergent ray. i1,i2 are angles of incidence. i1 is angle of incidence, but how i2 qualifies to angle of incidence. Similarly how r2 is angle of refraction? Please help members

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Attachments

• optics1.png
    optics1.png
    7.2 KB · Views: 489
Physics news on Phys.org
I am assuming a glass prism in air.
To put it exactly, (according to the direction the light is following) r2 is the angle at which the light is incident at the glass-air interface and i2 is the angle of refraction when the light passes form glass into air.
But, since the light could go exactly in the reversed path, i2 can be an angle of incidence of light on glass and then r2 would be the angle or refraction as light passes from air to glass.

Thanks for the reply grzz. Nice explanation.

Related to Refraction of light through a prism

What is refraction of light?

Refraction of light is the bending of light as it passes through different mediums, such as air, water, or glass.

What is a prism?

A prism is a transparent object with flat, polished surfaces that can refract light. It is typically made of glass or plastic and has a triangular shape.

How does a prism refract light?

When light enters a prism, it slows down and changes direction due to the change in medium. This causes the different wavelengths of light to separate and create a rainbow-like effect.

What is the angle of deviation in a prism?

The angle of deviation is the angle between the incident ray and the emergent ray of light as it passes through a prism. This angle is determined by the refractive index of the prism and the angle of incidence.

How is refraction of light through a prism used in everyday life?

Prisms are commonly used in optical instruments, such as eyeglasses, cameras, and telescopes, to manipulate and focus light. They are also used in science experiments to study the properties of light and in decorative items, such as chandeliers, to create colorful reflections.