Reflection of triangle over a line

In summary, reflection of a triangle over a line is a geometric transformation where the triangle is flipped over a given line, resulting in a mirror image of the original triangle. This transformation preserves the shape and size of the triangle but changes its orientation. The line of reflection is the perpendicular bisector of the segment connecting any two corresponding points on the triangle and the resulting reflection is a congruent triangle. This concept is useful in geometry and can be applied in various real-life scenarios, such as in the design of symmetric patterns and structures.
zak100

Homework Statement

How to rotate a triangle over a line? I have provided a attachment for it?

Homework Equations

Y= mx +c
I don't know the eq for reflection

The Attempt at a Solution

My plan is find the eq of line. I have got points for the end points of the line but i don't know how to reflect the triangle over the line which is not straight. I searched the internet but i can't find any eq. Eq are provided for reflecting over x-axis, y-axis , over the line x=2 & over the line x=y but no equations are shown for rotating object over an oblique line. One site gave the method to find the eq of line which was used to rotate the triangle but it don't give any example for reverse case. Its link was:

http://www.rcboe.org/cms/lib010/GA01903614/Centricity/Domain/1030/Reflections.pdf
I have attached the figure. I want to rotate the triangle over the dark line.
Some body please guide me.

Zulfi.

Attachments

• ref of tiangle over a line.jpg
    ref of tiangle over a line.jpg
    3.1 KB · Views: 521
Physics news on Phys.org
Hello Zak,

Reflection of triangle over a line

zak100 said:
How to rotate a triangle over a line? I have provided a attachment for it?
zak100 said:
I don't know the eq for reflection
zak100 said:
I want to rotate the triangle over the dark line

First thing to do is find the right question to ask.
So far, title, link and missing equation are about reflection. The figure title says reflection too. But I see a 6 point star and a fat line. The fat line connects two tips but has little to do with any reflection nor with any rotation.

So: make up your mind :smile:. What is it really that you want to do ?

I also note your vocabulary differs from that in the link (which is directed at teachers, by the way). Handy to have the answers filled in already, I must say. Do you understand it all ?

Mod note: Emphasis added to highlight changes from original post.
Hi,
Thanks for your response. I would make some corrections:
<<
Eq are provided for reflecting over x-axis, y-axis , over the line x=2 & over the line x=y but no equations are shown for rotating object over an oblique line.
>>
Correction:
Equations are provided for reflecting over x-axis, y-axis , over the line x=2 & over the line x=y but no equations found for reflecting object over an oblique line.

If this is not clear please let me know.
<<
One site gave the method to find the eq of line which was used to rotate the triangle but it don't give any example for reverse case.
>>
Correction:

One site gave the method to find the equation of line which produced the reflection of a triangle over that line but it did not give any example for reverse case i.e. for reflecting the triangle over a line (Note at same places its written reflection of triangle across a line. I don't know if across or over the line same thing?).

<<
I want to rotate the triangle over the dark line.>>
I want to do the reflection of triangle over the dark line.
<<
Do you understand it all ?
>>
I did not try to solve any example because I was looking for the solution of my problem. At first glance some problems looked understandable.

Kindly guide me.

Zulfi.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thread reopened.

If a point is reflected across a line, a line segment joining the new (reflected) point and the old point will be perpendicular to the line of reflection, and both points will be the same distance from the line of reflection, and on either side of it.

If a figure is rotated, the pole or point about which rotation occurs has to be stated. For example, if the line segment between (1, 1) and (3, 3) is rotated 45° clockwise around the origin, the rotated segment will lie along the x-axis between ##(\sqrt 2, 0)## and ##(3\sqrt 2, 0)##. Both line segments have the same length, ##2\sqrt 2##, but their orientation is different.

Last edited:
Hi zak, instead of using << and >> you could use the tags [quote] and [\quote] or (even easier) select the text in question in the post and click +Quote to copy it and click 'insert quotes' to paste it -- adorned with quote tags.
zak100 said:
Eq are provided for reflecting over x-axis, y-axis , over the line x=2 & over the line x=y but no equations are shown for rotating object over an oblique line.
Equations are provided for reflecting over x-axis, y-axis , over the line x=2 & over the line x=y but no equations found for
reflecting object over an oblique line.
It looks (e.g. in your link) as if the customary expression is 'to reflect across a line' -- but as a non-native english speaker I have no authority in this (I think I used ' with respect to a line' thus far in my career).

Back to the issue.
zak100 said:
Eq are provided for reflecting over x-axis, y-axis , over the line x=2 & over the line x=y
and you want to extend that to the line y = mx + c.

One way to do that is to reduce the latter to one of the known ones using a series of coordinate transformations: shift down by c, rotate around the origin until the mirror line is vertical (i.e. over ##\pi/2 - \alpha\ \ ## where ##\ \ \tan\alpha = m## ), then reflect wrt the y-axis (i.e. change x to -x), rotate back to mx ( over ##\ \alpha - \pi/2## ) and shift up by c.

Something for a computer...(which is why the books stay with the simple cases).

Now a concern of Mark and me: you mention reflection over a line which is not straight. that would make things different (and difficult). What are you referring to ?

BvU said:
you mention reflection over a line which is not straight.
Judging from post #1, Zulfi just meant a line which is oblique, i.e. not parallel to an axis.

Hi,
Thanks for updating my post. I have made a figure and specified the coordinates of the original and the rotated triangle. This would help to understand my problem.

coordinates of the rotated superimposed triangle2.jpg

I want to do reflection of the superimposed triangles over the line formed by the points (x1r, y1r) and (x2, y2).

I don't know the actual equation to find out the coordinates of (x1reflected, y1reflected) , (x2r_reflected, y2r_reflected), (x3reflected, y3reflected) and (x3r_reflected, y3r_reflected). Somebody please guide me.

Zulfi.

zak100 said:
Hi,
Thanks for updating my post. I have made a figure and specified the coordinates of the original and the rotated triangle. This would help to understand my problem.

View attachment 196005

I want to do reflection of the superimposed triangles over the line formed by the points (x1r, y1r) and (x2, y2).

I don't know the actual equation to find out the coordinates of (x1reflected, y1reflected) , (x2r_reflected, y2r_reflected), (x3reflected, y3reflected) and (x3r_reflected, y3r_reflected). Somebody please guide me.

Zulfi.
Do you know how to find the point on a line that is nearest a given point? From there it is easy.

haruspex said:
Do you know how to find the point on a line that is nearest a given point? From there it is easy.

zak100 said:
Distance formula.
No.
To use the distance formula, you need both points. @haruspex asked whether you knew how to find the point on a line that is closest to a given point.

Hi,
I found the formula at the following link:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Distance_from_a_point_to_a_line

i would try to write it:

The point on this line which is closest to (x0,y0) has coordinates:[3]

https://wikimedia.org/api/rest_v1/media/math/render/svg/e272ef09915cac216abc89acba3d0eedea77cf30
My logic was to use the distance formula because in this case we know the endpoints of the line.So we can find out the distance between the end points & the given point. Using the endpoints we can also find the mid-point of the line. Thus we have 3 distances now.. Any two minimum distances mean that the point of lowest distance may lie between them.

Kindly reply me.
Zulfi.

zak100 said:
Hi,
I found the formula at the following link:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Distance_from_a_point_to_a_line

i would try to write it:

The point on this line which is closest to (x0,y0) has coordinates:[3]

https://wikimedia.org/api/rest_v1/media/math/render/svg/e272ef09915cac216abc89acba3d0eedea77cf30
My logic was to use the distance formula because in this case we know the endpoints of the line.So we can find out the distance between the end points & the given point. Using the endpoints we can also find the mid-point of the line. Thus we have 3 distances now.. Any two minimum distances mean that the point of lowest distance may lie between them.

Kindly reply me.
Zulfi.
The distance is not helpful. Once you have (x0, y0) and the point on the line that is nearest to it, finding the mirror image in the line is trivial.

haruspex said:
The distance is not helpful. Once you have (x0, y0) and the point on the line that is nearest to it, finding the mirror image in the line is trivial.

Hi,

Actually i never did this before. Kindly guide me, what would be the equation for the reflected points.

Zulfi.

Hi,
This prob has been solved using composite transformation. https://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/threads/reflection-of-a-point-over-a-line.134557/

Thanks for guidance.

Zulfi.

zak100 said:
Hi,
This prob has been solved using composite transformation. https://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/threads/reflection-of-a-point-over-a-line.134557/

Thanks for guidance.

Zulfi.
I am sorry, I did not notice your 21st April reply.
For what it is worth, if you have a point X=(x,y) and the nearest point to it on the line is X'=(x',y'), the mirror image, X", of the point can be found by considering the vector XX'. This must equal the vector X'X", so
X"-X'=X'-X
X'=2X'-X.

zak100 said:
Hi,

Thanks for guidance.

Zulfi.
Any difference with the proposed algorithm in post #5 ?

Related to Reflection of triangle over a line

What is the concept of reflection of a triangle over a line?

The reflection of a triangle over a line is a geometric transformation that produces a mirror image of the original triangle. It involves flipping the triangle over a straight line, called the line of reflection, such that the distance between each point of the original triangle and the line of reflection is the same as the distance between the reflected points and the line of reflection.

What are the properties of a reflected triangle?

A reflected triangle has the same size and shape as the original triangle. However, it is oriented in the opposite direction, with all angles and sides being equal to the original triangle but in reverse order. The reflection also preserves the distance between any two points on the triangle, as well as the orientation of the triangle's interior and exterior angles.

How is the reflection of a triangle over a line different from a rotation or translation?

A rotation involves turning the triangle around a fixed point, while a translation involves sliding the triangle in a specific direction. In contrast, a reflection over a line involves flipping the triangle over a line of reflection. This results in a mirror image of the original triangle, rather than a change in its position or orientation.

What is the formula for reflecting a point over a line in the coordinate plane?

The formula for reflecting a point (x,y) over a line y=mx+b is (x,y) → (x',y') = (x-2m(y-b)/(m²+1), y+2(y-b)/(m²+1)), where m is the slope of the line and b is the y-intercept. This formula can also be used for reflecting a triangle over a line, by applying it to each vertex of the triangle.

How can the reflection of a triangle over a line be visualized?

The reflection of a triangle over a line can be visualized by drawing the line of reflection and then drawing the reflected triangle on the opposite side of the line. The reflected triangle will have the same size and shape as the original triangle, but will be oriented in the opposite direction. Alternatively, this transformation can also be visualized using a coordinate plane and applying the formula for reflecting a point over a line to each vertex of the triangle.