Reflection Coefficient: Steps 4 to 5 Explained by Drforbin

In summary, the conversation is about a person seeking help with understanding the steps in getting from step 4 to equation 5 in their research on reflective coefficients in transmission lines. They receive guidance on how to clear fractions and collect terms before cross multiplying to reach the final equation. The person expresses their gratitude and notes that resources for learning are in short supply.
merlyn
Hi all, Great forum.
I really don't know if this is the proper place for this,
so if it is not please forgive me.

I have been researching reflective coefficients in transmission lines. I understand everything except steps 4 -> 5.
Perhaps it is a lacking in my math skills but could someone show me the steps in getting from 4 to equation 5.

thank you.

Drforbin.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-09-25_14-58-22.png
    Screenshot_2015-09-25_14-58-22.png
    51.5 KB · Views: 449
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Are you acquainted with the technique of clearing fractions from an equation by using the least common denominator of all the terms?

(This is really an algebra question, so I've moved this thread to General Math.)

You mean rationalizing the fraction ?

merlyn said:
Hi all, Great forum.
I really don't know if this is the proper place for this,
so if it is not please forgive me.

I have been researching reflective coefficients in transmission lines. I understand everything except steps 4 -> 5.
Perhaps it is a lacking in my math skills but could someone show me the steps in getting from 4 to equation 5.

thank you.

Drforbin.

Collect all the V+ terms on one side and all the V- terms on the other side of the equation. Then pull the V+ and V- terms out by clearing the fractions like jtbell said, and at that point all that is left to do is cross multiply and cancel your like terms. You'll need to pull out a negative so you end up with the Zl - Zo on top and the Zl + Zo on the bottom.

Hi guys...I actually did this last night.
I think I have it. Here are my notes. I hope this helps anyone else.
Great Thanks to you all again.
This is a great resource for people trying to learn.
Something in short supply these days. At least in the U.S.

Drforbin.

Attachments

• CAM00362.jpg
    CAM00362.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 445
  • CAM00363.jpg
    CAM00363.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 464
I forgot last step.

Attachments

• Snapshot.jpg
    Snapshot.jpg
    14.9 KB · Views: 373

Related to Reflection Coefficient: Steps 4 to 5 Explained by Drforbin

1. What is a reflection coefficient?

A reflection coefficient is a measure of how much energy is reflected back when a wave encounters a boundary between two mediums with different impedances.

2. How is the reflection coefficient calculated?

The reflection coefficient is calculated by dividing the difference between the incident and reflected waves by the sum of the two waves.

3. Why is understanding the reflection coefficient important in science?

The reflection coefficient is important in science because it helps explain and predict how waves behave when they encounter boundaries, such as when light reflects off of a mirror or when sound bounces off of a wall. It also has applications in various fields, such as acoustics, optics, and electromagnetics.

4. What are the steps involved in calculating the reflection coefficient?

The steps involved in calculating the reflection coefficient include determining the incident and reflected waves, calculating their amplitudes, finding the difference between the two, and dividing it by the sum of the two waves. This can be repeated for different frequencies to create a reflection coefficient graph.

5. How does Drforbin explain steps 4 to 5 of the reflection coefficient calculation?

In steps 4 and 5, Drforbin explains that the incident and reflected waves can be represented by complex numbers, and the reflection coefficient can be found by dividing the difference between the complex numbers by their sum. This allows for a more accurate representation of the phase shift that occurs when a wave reflects off of a boundary.