Reflection Coeff - Quantum Mech

In summary: Are you asking for help on (a)? Can you also show us your final wave function? And have you tried plugging that wavefunction into (a)?In summary, the potential diagram is just a unit step function that goes from V = 0 to V = V_0 at x=0. The piecewise notation does not account for the V(x) being continuous at x=0. You need to solve for the wave equation at x>0 and x<0 in order to find the reflection coefficient.
nickmai123

Homework Statement

Find the reflection coefficient for electrons traveling toward a potential change from [tex]V[/tex] to [tex]V_0[/tex] with a total energy [tex]E > V_0[/tex].
The potential diagram is just a unit step function. It goes from [tex]V = 0[/tex] to [tex]V = V_0[/tex] at [tex]x=0[/tex]. In piecewise notation:
[tex]
\begin{displaymath}
V(x) = \left\{
\begin{array}{lr}
0 & : x < 0 \\
V_0 & : x \ge 0
\end{array}
\right.
\end{displaymath}
[/tex]
The piecewise notation does not account for the [tex]V(x)[/tex] being continuous at [tex]x=0[/tex].

Homework Equations

a) Probability flux:
[tex]S\left( x,t \right)=-\frac{i\hbar}{2m}\left[ \Psi^*\left( x,t \right) \frac{\partial \Psi\left( x,t \right)}{\partial x} - \Psi\left( x,t \right) \frac{\partial \Psi^*\left( x,t \right)}{\partial x}\left][/tex]

b) Reflection coefficient:
[tex]R=\frac{S_{I}^{-x}\left( x,t \right)}{S_{I}^{+x}\left( x,t \right)}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I've solved for the wave equations at [tex]x > 0[/tex] and [tex]x < 0[/tex]. I'm stuck as far as where to go from there.

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you asking for help on (a)? Can you also show us your final wave function? And have you tried plugging that wavefunction into (a)?

nickmai123 said:

Homework Statement

Find the reflection coefficient for electrons traveling toward a potential change from [tex]V[/tex] to [tex]V_0[/tex] with a total energy [tex]E > V_0[/tex].
The potential diagram is just a unit step function. It goes from [tex]V = 0[/tex] to [tex]V = V_0[/tex] at [tex]x=0[/tex]. In piecewise notation:
[tex]
\begin{displaymath}
V(x) = \left\{
\begin{array}{lr}
0 & : x < 0 \\
V_0 & : x \ge 0
\end{array}
\right.
\end{displaymath}
[/tex]
The piecewise notation does not account for the [tex]V(x)[/tex] being continuous at [tex]x=0[/tex].

Homework Equations

a) Probability flux:
[tex]S\left( x,t \right)=-\frac{i\hbar}{2m}\left[ \Psi^*\left( x,t \right) \frac{\partial \Psi\left( x,t \right)}{\partial x} - \Psi\left( x,t \right) \frac{\partial \Psi^*\left( x,t \right)}{\partial x}\left][/tex]

b) Reflection coefficient:
[tex]R=\frac{S_{I}^{-x}\left( x,t \right)}{S_{I}^{+x}\left( x,t \right)}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I've solved for the wave equations at [tex]x > 0[/tex] and [tex]x < 0[/tex]. I'm stuck as far as where to go from there.
Require continuity of the wavefunction and its derivative at x=0. That will allow you to solve for most of the constants.

Related to Reflection Coeff - Quantum Mech

1. What is reflection coefficient in quantum mechanics?

The reflection coefficient in quantum mechanics is a measure of the probability that a particle will be reflected when it encounters a potential barrier or boundary. It is defined as the ratio of the amplitude of the reflected wave to the amplitude of the incident wave.

2. How is reflection coefficient calculated?

The reflection coefficient is calculated using the Schrödinger equation, which describes the behavior of quantum particles. It involves solving for the wave function of the particle in the presence of the potential barrier or boundary, and then taking the ratio of the amplitude of the reflected wave to the amplitude of the incident wave.

3. What is the physical significance of reflection coefficient?

The reflection coefficient is an important quantity in quantum mechanics as it helps us understand the behavior of particles when they encounter potential barriers or boundaries. It can tell us the likelihood of a particle being reflected, and can also provide information about the energy levels and properties of the potential barrier or boundary.

4. How does reflection coefficient differ from classical reflection?

In classical mechanics, reflection is simply the bouncing of a particle off a surface. However, in quantum mechanics, particles behave as waves and can exhibit both reflection and transmission properties when encountering a potential barrier or boundary. The reflection coefficient in quantum mechanics takes into account the wave-like nature of particles and gives a more accurate description of their behavior.

5. Can the reflection coefficient be greater than 1?

No, the reflection coefficient cannot be greater than 1. This is because it represents the ratio of the amplitude of the reflected wave to the amplitude of the incident wave, and the amplitude of a wave cannot be greater than the total energy of the particle. A reflection coefficient of 1 means that all of the incident wave is reflected, while a value less than 1 indicates some amount of transmission.