Referring to professors in a paper

In summary, when writing a paper, it is important to use respectful and professional language when referring to professors. This includes using the appropriate title, such as "Dr." or "Professor," followed by their last name. It is not necessary to include their first name, unless referencing their work or a conversation with them. It is also important to use a person's preferred pronouns when referring to them, including professors. When discussing multiple professors, use their full names and titles when first introducing them, and then use their last names or pronouns throughout the paper. Using informal titles or nicknames for professors is not appropriate and can be seen as disrespectful. Stick to using their appropriate titles and last names to maintain a level of respect and professionalism in
broean01
This is sort of off-topic, but I couldn't find a better forum to ask in.

I'm writing a paper for my internship, and I need to refer to one of my professors for purposes of background information. I want to do this in a professional manner.

Should I say Professor Xxxx Xxxxxxx, Ph.D.? Should I leave out the Ph.D.?
Doctor Xxxx Xxxxxxx?

Physics news on Phys.org
In most papers, you you wish to reference Prof A. Smith, then it just Smith, A

Related to Referring to professors in a paper

What is the proper way to refer to professors in a paper?

When writing a paper, it is important to use respectful and professional language when referring to professors. Generally, it is appropriate to refer to them as "Dr." or "Professor" followed by their last name. If you are unsure of their title, you can also refer to them as "Professor [Last Name]." It is important to use the appropriate title out of respect for their academic achievements and position.

Do I need to include the professor's first name when referring to them in a paper?

In most cases, it is not necessary to include the professor's first name when referring to them in a paper. Using their last name with the appropriate title is sufficient. However, if you are specifically referencing their work or a conversation you had with them, it may be appropriate to include their first name for clarity.

Should I use the professor's preferred pronouns when referring to them in a paper?

Yes, it is important to use a person's preferred pronouns when referring to them, including professors. When in doubt, you can ask the professor directly or use gender-neutral pronouns such as "they" or "ze" to avoid assumptions.

What if I am writing about multiple professors in my paper?

If you are discussing multiple professors in your paper, it is important to use their full names and titles when first introducing them. After that, you can use their last names or pronouns to refer to them. Make sure to be consistent in how you refer to each professor throughout your paper.

Is it appropriate to use informal titles or nicknames for professors in a paper?

No, it is not appropriate to use informal titles or nicknames for professors in a paper. This can come across as disrespectful and unprofessional. Stick to using their appropriate titles and last names to maintain a level of respect and credibility in your writing.