References for quantum chromodynamics

In summary, a student in a 300 level physics class is researching QCD for a presentation and is looking for more references. Some recommended resources include a particle physics textbook, a paper on gauge theory of QCD, CERN summer school lectures, and the CTEQ Meta-Page. There is also a book called "Constructing Quarks" by Andrew Pickering that discusses the role of scientists in uncovering truth. However, there are also critics of Pickering's ideas.
physman88
Hey all,

I am currently in a 300 level physics class, Concepts of Modern Physics, and as a semester project we are required to research a topic and do a presentation. I chose QCD because I have done some reading on it and it seemed the most interesting on the list. Although, i would like to have a few more references than what I have right now. Can anyone help point me in the right direction for some information on this topic. Thanks!

Kev

Physics news on Phys.org
I can tell you what I use:

- Particle physics, by Martin & Shaw (chapter 6 and 7 is about qcd) (textbook)
- http://arxiv.org/PS_cache/hep-ph/pdf/0001/0001118v1.pdf (Gauge theory of QCD + much more)

You may also want to check out the CERN summer school lectures (slides + video)
http://indico.cern.ch/tools/SSLPdisplay.py?stdate=2008-06-30&nbweeks=7
(Fundamental concepts in particle physics & Standard Model - is the ones you are looking for)

Last edited by a moderator:
THE area to start is the CTEQ Meta-Page at http://www.phys.psu.edu/~cteq/

I recommend the handbook of perturbative QCD (linked on that page) highly.

Vanadium, I think that is too advanced for the OP :-)

Maybe, maybe not. Depends on what the "some reading" entails.

Try "Constructing Quarks" by Andrew Pickering. Do scientists uncover truth or create it out of their experiments and theories?

http://www.huss.ex.ac.uk/sociology/staff/pickering/biog.php

Sheesh! Pickering has two PhD's, one in particle physics, the other in the sociology of particle physicists. Gribbin uses his ideas the focus for his "Kittens" book if you want a lighter intro.

... but check out critics of Pickering like Weinberg ("Dreams...") to get both sides!

Related to References for quantum chromodynamics

1. What is quantum chromodynamics (QCD)?

Quantum chromodynamics is a theory in particle physics that explains the strong nuclear force, which is responsible for holding quarks together to form protons, neutrons, and other hadrons.

2. How does QCD relate to the Standard Model of particle physics?

QCD is one of the three fundamental forces in the Standard Model, along with the electromagnetic and weak nuclear forces. It describes the interactions between quarks and gluons, which are the building blocks of protons, neutrons, and other hadrons.

3. What are the key principles of QCD?

There are three key principles in QCD: color charge, confinement, and asymptotic freedom. Color charge is a property of quarks and gluons, similar to electric charge, that explains how they interact. Confinement refers to the fact that quarks are always bound together in groups, or hadrons, and cannot exist as free particles. Asymptotic freedom is a property of QCD that explains how the strength of the strong force decreases at high energies.

4. What experimental evidence supports QCD?

There is a large body of experimental evidence that supports the predictions of QCD. This includes measurements of particle decay rates, high-energy collisions, and other phenomena related to the strong force. In particular, the Large Hadron Collider (LHC) at CERN has provided strong evidence for the existence of quarks and gluons, as predicted by QCD.

5. How do scientists use QCD in their research?

Scientists use QCD in a variety of ways, including studying the properties of hadrons and other particles, predicting the outcomes of high-energy collisions, and testing the limitations of the Standard Model. QCD is also used in the development of new theories and models in particle physics. Additionally, QCD has applications in other fields, such as astrophysics and nuclear physics.