Reference that explains general relativity

In summary: One of the best concise summaries of GR that I've ever seen is the first chapter of the book "Introduction to 3+1 Numerical Relativity", by Miguel Alcubierre. The book itself is not what you are after becasue it is about numerical implementations, but the introduction is excellent as a summary. The nice thing is that some pages of the first chapter are available to read at Amazon. So you
jinbaw
Hi guys,

I need to write few paragraphs to explain Einstein's formulation of gravity in terms of the metric, christofell symbols, and Reimann curvature tensor. I also want to write about the veirbein and spin connection formalism of gravity.
Can anyone suggest good, yet simple references that i might use for this purpose? thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
jinbaw said:
Hi guys,

I need to write few paragraphs to explain Einstein's formulation of gravity in terms of the metric, christofell symbols, and Reimann curvature tensor. I also want to write about the veirbein and spin connection formalism of gravity.
Can anyone suggest good, yet simple references that i might use for this purpose? thank you!

One of the best concise summaries of GR that I've ever seen is the first chapter of the book "Introduction to 3+1 Numerical Relativity", by Miguel Alcubierre. The book itself is not what you are after becasue it is about numerical implementations, but the introduction is excellent as a summary. The nice thing is that some pages of the first chapter are available to read at Amazon. So you can quickly scan this to see if it's what you want. In my view, the price of the book is worth the first chapter alone.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0199205671/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Last edited:
Sean Carroll's talks may help you get started.

Thank you stevenb, i had a look at the Alcubierre's book. it is exactly what i want to understand the formulation of gravity in terms of the metric. Do u know of any book that would introduce the concept of veirbeins in an analogous manner?

Daverz i had a look at the notes written by Caroll, but i don't know why i do not have access to the videos. Thanks anyways:)

jinbaw said:
Thank you stevenb, i had a look at the Alcubierre's book. it is exactly what i want to understand the formulation of gravity in terms of the metric. Do u know of any book that would introduce the concept of veirbeins in an analogous manner?

Caroll's book is also good and more complete than his notes. There is also the Alex Maloney lectures at

http://www.physics.mcgill.ca/~maloney/514/

There are many other good books and Dr. Maloney recommends some in his lectures.

And, youtube has the Susskind GR lectures. You can find it easiliy if you do a search on youtube "Susskind General Relativity Lecture".

Note that the Alcubierre's book is very advanced after chapter 1, and the first chapter summary is only good as a concise reference once you understand the material. However, I wish I had that summary when I was learning the basics because it provides a good roadmap while learning and a great refresher course if you want to go back and relearn after not using it for a few years. I also wish I had those Susskind lectures because he has a gift for making the subject easy, which it actually is (at least conceptually) if taught correctly and studied diligently.

Last edited:

Related to Reference that explains general relativity

1. What is general relativity?

General relativity is a theory developed by Albert Einstein in the early 20th century that describes the force of gravity as a consequence of the curvature of space and time. It is one of the most well-tested and successful theories in modern physics.

2. How does general relativity differ from Newton's theory of gravity?

While Newton's theory of gravity described gravity as a force acting between two objects, general relativity explains gravity as the curvature of space and time caused by the presence of massive objects. It also predicts that gravity can affect the path of light and the passage of time.

3. What are some real-life applications of general relativity?

General relativity has been used to accurately predict the orbits of planets and satellites, to explain the bending of light by massive objects, and to understand the behavior of black holes. It also plays a crucial role in modern technologies such as GPS systems.

4. Is general relativity still considered a valid theory?

Yes, general relativity is still considered a valid theory and is widely accepted by the scientific community. It has been extensively tested and has consistently been found to accurately describe the behavior of gravity in various situations.

5. How can I learn more about general relativity?

There are many resources available for learning about general relativity, including books, online courses, and lectures. You can also consult with a physicist or attend a conference on the topic. It is important to have a strong background in mathematics and physics to fully understand the theory.