Reference Request - Books for mastering Data Structures

In summary, the individual is a first-year student in Computer Science Engineering who did not find their first year fulfilling in terms of knowledge. They are planning to study Data Structures over the holidays and are seeking book recommendations starting from the basics. They also mention having a limited budget and prefer free pdf versions if available. A recommended book is "Data Structures and Algorithms in Java" by Michael T. Goodrich, Roberto Tamassia, and Michael H. Goldwasser. The individual also expresses concern about copyright violation.
Maths Absorber
Thank you for taking the time to stop by this thread. I am in a Computer Science Engineering course and have just finished my first year. I don't think the first year was very fulfilling in terms of quench in my thirst for knowledge. But that's alright because it was largely unrelated to my field.

There will be a subject called Data Structures next semester, dealing with arrays, trees and linked lists. I want to take advantage of my holidays at the end of this semester and study data structures thoroughly. I know basic C and Java. Can you recommend some good books to me that would start from the basics and then let me master data structures. (It's not necessary that they be the same book)

If a free pdf version is available, please let me know because books can be expensive for me in a limited budget.

Thank you for your time.

Technology news on Phys.org
If you post links to free pdfs, please make sure they are legitimate (i.e. authorized by the author or publisher). As per our rules, we do not support copyright violation.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0131997467/?tag=pfamazon01-20

this is the book I got, it's only 24 cents on amazon right now and since you already know c I think it would be perfect for you.

why are a lot of computer scientists named tenenbaum?

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Reference Request - Books for mastering Data Structures

What are data structures and why are they important?

Data structures are ways of organizing and storing data in a computer so that it can be accessed and modified efficiently. They are important because they allow for faster processing and manipulation of large amounts of data.

What are some common data structures used in programming?

Some common data structures used in programming include arrays, linked lists, stacks, queues, trees, and graphs. Each has its own advantages and use cases.

What is the best way to master data structures?

The best way to master data structures is to practice implementing them in various programming languages and solving problems using them. It is also helpful to understand the underlying concepts and principles behind each data structure.

What are some recommended books for mastering data structures?

Some recommended books for mastering data structures include "Introduction to Algorithms" by Thomas H. Cormen, "Data Structures and Algorithms in Java" by Robert Lafore, and "Cracking the Coding Interview" by Gayle Laakmann McDowell.

How can knowledge of data structures benefit a programmer?

Knowledge of data structures can benefit a programmer by allowing them to design efficient algorithms and write more optimized code. It can also help in problem-solving and understanding complex data systems.