Reference Frames? Putting multiple perspectives in kinamatics in 2D problems

In summary, the assignment involves creating a scenario where a baby is thrown from a building into a moving car, and determining the speed and acceleration needed for the car to catch the baby. The relevant equations used in solving this problem are y = vit + 0.5at^2, d = vt, and vf = vi + at. The first perspective focuses on the motion of the baby, with initial velocity components of 5 m/s and initial angle of 30 degrees, and a final time of 4.2696 seconds. The second perspective considers the motion of the car, with an initial velocity of 5.56 m/s and an unknown final velocity and acceleration. The third perspective involves combining the two perspectives and solving
Npatel2

Homework Statement

I have this assignment on where I have to make up a scenario and solve for the question. The question is that there is a baby that is being thrown out of building into a moving car, (to keep the baby out of harms way). How fast would the car have to traveling to catch the baby.

I did all the work to find the final velocity of the car and time and all the variables.
The baby is falling at a 30 degree angle. So it was thrown up 30 degrees and then down to make that arc. And the building was 100m tall. The baby is flying at 5 m/s. The car is initially going 5.56m/s how much acceleration does he need and how fast does he need to go.

Im not sure how I'm supposed to put it into three different perspectives and do the math for it. The main question is how to put it in three different perspectives.

Homework Equations

y=vit+.5at^2
d=vt
vf=vi+at

The Attempt at a Solution

For the baby:
Vix=5 cos 30
viy=5 cos 39
x=
ax=0
t=4.2696

viy=5 sin 30
vfy=
y=100m
ay=9.8m/s^2
t=4.2696

I did the math to get the time by using the formula y=vit+.5at^2
then I found x distance too I'm not sure if it's relavent though. Its about 10.674m.

Physics news on Phys.org
For the car: vi=5.56 m/svf=?d= 10.674ma=? I'm not sure how to put this in 3 different perspectives and solve for the variables.

Related to Reference Frames? Putting multiple perspectives in kinamatics in 2D problems

1. What is a reference frame?

A reference frame is a coordinate system used to describe the position and movement of objects in space. It provides a frame of reference for measuring and analyzing motion.

2. How do you determine the reference frame in a 2D kinematics problem?

In a 2D kinematics problem, the reference frame is typically chosen based on convenience and clarity. It is often helpful to choose a frame where one of the axes aligns with the direction of motion or where the motion is most simple.

3. What is the importance of considering multiple perspectives in kinematics?

Considering multiple perspectives in kinematics allows for a more complete understanding of the motion of objects. It can help identify and account for factors such as relative motion and different reference frames.

4. How do you incorporate multiple perspectives in kinematics problems?

To incorporate multiple perspectives in kinematics problems, you must first identify the different reference frames involved. Then, you can use appropriate equations and principles to analyze the motion from each frame's perspective and determine the overall motion of the object.

5. What are some common examples where multiple perspectives are necessary in kinematics?

Examples of situations where multiple perspectives are necessary in kinematics include analyzing the motion of objects in a rotating reference frame, such as a merry-go-round or a rotating space station, and determining the motion of objects in a moving frame, such as a car on a moving train.