Gravitation, neutron starlooks simple

In summary, a neutron star is formed when a star has burned all its nuclear fuel and begins to collapse in upon itself. It then packs roughly the mass of our Sun into a region with the same radius as that of a small city while continuing to spin at very rapid rate. A neutron star with a radius of 13 km and rotational velocity of 103 rotations per minute has a gravitational attraction of 1.3 million times that of Earth.
rdn98
A neutron star is formed when a star has burned all its nuclear fuel and begins to collapse in upon itself. It then packs roughly the mass of our Sun into a region with the same radius as that of a small city while continuing to spin at very rapid rate. Let's say you have a neutron star with a radius of 13 km and rotational velocity of 103 rotations per minute.

---------------------------------------------------------------------a) What is must be the minimum mass so that the material on its surface remains in place?

First thing I did was convert rotational velocity to translational velocity.
so (103 rev/min)(2pi/1rev)(1min/60secs)*13000m= A (lets just keep it simple for now)

Well, I want the minimum mass, so I looked into the gravitatin chapter, and the only thing that pops out at me is the escape speed formula

v=sqrt(2*G*M/R)
where G is the gravitation constant
M is my variable
and R is my radius.

So I plugged in my velocity, and solved for M, but its not working out right. Am I missing something here, or am I on the right track? *sigh* Too much time wasted on this problem..lol

Physics news on Phys.org
You should be trying to set the gravitational attraction between a test mass on the surface of the planet and the planet equal to the centripetal force of that test mass given the rotational velocity of the planet.

Sorry, you lost me for a second.

Are you saying setup the gravitation attaction equation equal to the centripetal force equation?

So (G*Me*m)/R^2=Me*v^2/R ?

Not quite. I was thinking you should set

[tex] \frac{GmM_n}{R^2} = \frac{mv^2}{R} = m\omega^2R [/tex]

and solve for Mn, the mass of the neutron star. This applies to a mass on the equator of the star.

Thank you so much man. I figured it out. Now I can rest easily.

1. What is gravitation?

Gravitation is the natural phenomenon by which all objects with mass are brought towards one another. It is commonly referred to as the force of attraction between two objects.

2. How does gravitation affect the movement of objects?

Gravitation affects the movement of objects by pulling them towards each other. The larger the mass of an object, the stronger its gravitational pull.

3. What is a neutron star?

A neutron star is a highly dense and compact star that is formed when a massive star collapses in on itself during a supernova explosion. It is made up mostly of neutrons and has a diameter of only about 10 kilometers.

4. How does the gravitational force affect a neutron star?

The gravitational force on a neutron star is incredibly strong due to its high mass and small size. This force is what keeps the star from collapsing under its own weight.

5. Why does a neutron star look simple?

A neutron star may appear simple because of its small size and lack of visible features. However, it is an incredibly complex and dense object, and studying it can provide valuable insights into the workings of the universe.