List the major branch of Physics

In summary, the conversation is about identifying the major branch of Physics and its two subfields that have been studied, specifically in relation to mechanics. The two possible subfields mentioned are Newton's laws and conservation laws, with a possible alternate division of statics and kinematics. The conversation also touches on the confusion surrounding the definition of subfields in mechanics.
steph01mcd
Please answer ASAP."List the major branch of Physics and its 2 subfields we have studied and discuss each." (We have been studying Mechanics)... what are the subfields? Or am I reading the question wrong. I am so confused. *Steph*

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Steph,

I don't believe there are any "officially recognized" subfields of mechanics among those in the physics community. Your teacher has probably declared the subfields on his own. The best way to break mechanics up into two pieces, in my opinion is:

1) Newton's laws (and how they can be used to predict position, velocity, and acceleration)

2) Conservation laws (conservation of energy, momentum, etc.)

- Warren

THANK YOU SO MUCH! A true life saver. :-D

I don't see how anyone but YOU can say what "sub-fields" YOU are studying! It depends entirely upon how your text is divided. I'll bet that the chapter on mechanics is separated into two parts (or your text is separated into two parts). I can see chroot's answer but I think it is more likely your text divides mechanics into "statics" and "kinematics".

What are the major branches of Physics?

The major branches of Physics are Classical Mechanics, Electromagnetism, Thermodynamics, Quantum Mechanics, and Relativity.

What is Classical Mechanics?

Classical Mechanics is the branch of Physics that deals with the motion of macroscopic objects and the forces acting upon them.

What is Electromagnetism?

Electromagnetism is the branch of Physics that studies the interactions between electrically charged particles and the electromagnetic fields they create.

What is Thermodynamics?

Thermodynamics is the branch of Physics that deals with the relationship between heat, energy, and work, and how they affect the behavior of matter.

What is Quantum Mechanics?

Quantum Mechanics is the branch of Physics that studies the behavior of matter and energy at a very small scale, such as atoms and subatomic particles.