Reduction of eddy currents' magnetic field during induction

In summary: That's helpful.Can it be obtained from specialized manufacturers?It depends on what you mean by "obtain." If you mean "manufacture," then no, it isn't typically manufactured that way. It depends on what you mean by "obtain." If you mean "manufacture," then no, it isn't typically manufactured that way.
adeborts
Since the field in the title is opposing the original magnetic flux that causes the induction, how can it be reduced?
I understand that a laminated magnetic core can be used.
1) Where is this magnetic laminated core placed?
2) Can it be obtained from specialized manufacturers?
3) My choice for the permanent magnet is the natural kind. Would this be the best choice, given that artificially magnetized materials lose their strength in time?

Sorry for the awkward, all-over-the-place manner in which I post the questions.
I am ignorant and eager.

I appreciate, beforehand, the knowledge and patience of all respondents.

Physics news on Phys.org
adeborts said:
) Where is this magnetic laminated core placed?
Sounds like you are talking about a transformer. The windings are wound on the core.
images (1).png

adeborts said:
My choice for the permanent magnet is the natural kind.
Could you elaborate?

Likes davenn
All commercially available permanent magnets are artificially magnetized. Reducing eddy current is unimportant unless the core permits alternating magnetic flux (such as electric motor armature, antenna core, or transformer). You want the retentivity of the ferromagnetic core to be as low as possible in those cases.

In a permanent magnet, it's the opposite. The greater the retentivity, the better.

Many thanks to both!

Here is what's going on:

I have access to a primary source of energy which I would use to maintain the motion of a translator in a linear generator.
In my mind, the translator would be a natural permanent magnet.
- What are the losses due to the eddy currents during the process?
How do I minimize those?
- What about the heating?
What is the best cooling method?
- Any other caveats?

Thanks.

If you're talking about a homopolar generator, the conventional way to reduce eddy current is to arrange the magnetic field so that it doesn't induce current that recirculates.

David Lewis said:
If you're talking about a homopolar generator, the conventional way to reduce eddy current is to arrange thye magnetic field so that it doesn't induce current that recirculates.

Thank you.

Related to Reduction of eddy currents' magnetic field during induction

1. What are eddy currents?

Eddy currents are circular electric currents induced in a conductor by a changing magnetic field. They are typically undesirable and can cause energy loss and heating in electrical devices.

2. How do eddy currents affect the magnetic field during induction?

Eddy currents can create their own magnetic fields that oppose the original changing magnetic field. This results in a reduction of the overall magnetic field during induction.

3. What is the main factor that affects the reduction of eddy currents' magnetic field?

The main factor that affects the reduction of eddy currents' magnetic field is the conductivity of the material. Materials with higher conductivity will have more eddy currents and therefore, a greater reduction in the magnetic field.

4. How can we reduce the effects of eddy currents on the magnetic field during induction?

One way to reduce the effects of eddy currents is by using laminated or layered materials. These materials have thin layers of insulation between them, which can help minimize the formation of eddy currents.

5. What are some practical applications of reducing eddy currents' magnetic field during induction?

Reducing eddy currents is important in many electrical devices, such as transformers, motors, and generators. By minimizing the effects of eddy currents, we can increase the efficiency and lifespan of these devices.