Reducing Resistance in Electrofusion Couplings for Steel Pipes

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of a 6" carbon steel pipe and 10" High Density Polyethylene Pipe (HDPE) for a project. The person is using an electrofusion coupling to connect the HDPE, but is experiencing resistance issues when the coupling is placed on the steel pipe. The solution is to ensure that the fitting is not too tight and that the pipe is properly cleaned and secured before inserting the fitting.
mghdpe
I have 6" Carbon steel pipe

Question. I am working on a project. I have 6" Carbon steel pipe which I am going to use 10" High Density Polyethylene Pipe(HDPE) to sleeve and protect 6" pipe from corrosion. This pipe will be buried. I am trying to use electrofusion coupling to connect HDPE. The couplings are install by using an Electrofusion(EF) box. It sends current to the coupling and melts/bonds O.D. of pipe to I.D. of coupling. My problem is that when the EF Box is ready to melt the coupling, a resistance problem occurs. It seems like the metal from the 6" pipe will not allow the EF Box to work Properly. I can take the coupling off the 6" Pipe and it works fine, but as soon as I place it back on the steel pipe I get a resistance error. The EF box Runs on 240VAC 30A. I manually operate it EF Box and set to run 40V for 6Min(the EF Coupling have internal wiring and 2 leads where I connect my EF Box.

My question is, is there and way the resistance on the metal pipe can be eliminated or reduced so my EF Box can operate.

Thank You

Attachments

• 100_0284.jpg
    100_0284.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 394
Physics news on Phys.org

Hi - the resistance of the fitting is set, and the wire is either ploughed into the plastic, or formed into the plastic, so the steel pipe has no influence at all on the fitting resistance. The problem is most likely the fitting's wound wires are shorting when pushed onto the plastic pipe (very common problem) probably becuse the fit is too tight. Normally, the circumference of the pipe is scraped (if using a rotary scraper the scrape depth is a uniform 0.2mm depth) before placing the fitting onto the pipe, to remove oxidation and detritus, and this reduction in diameter can help slide the fitting onto the pipe. You need to measure the insertion depth of the coupler (half the width less 5mm), mark the pipe halves with te dimension + 10mm, and scrape the pipe clean. Make sure the fitting slides on easiliy (use a new fitting as the one you have mentioned herein may be damaged as described) - insert the pipe halves fully and exqually to the stop in the center. The pipes MUST be secured and aligned properly and preferably clamped so they cannot move when the plastic becomes fluid - the fitting can move, and the winding resistance wires can move also and short-out, giving you the error you already have or fail altogether.
I hope this helps you.
Regards
Graham

Related to Reducing Resistance in Electrofusion Couplings for Steel Pipes

1. What is carbon steel pipe?

Carbon steel pipe is a type of steel pipe that is made from a combination of iron and carbon. It has a high carbon content, typically between 0.3% and 2.0%, which gives it its strength and hardness.

2. What are the advantages of using carbon steel pipe?

Carbon steel pipe has several advantages, including its high strength, durability, and resistance to corrosion. It is also relatively inexpensive compared to other types of steel, making it a cost-effective option for many applications.

3. What are the different grades of carbon steel pipe?

There are several different grades of carbon steel pipe, each with its own unique properties and characteristics. Some common grades include A106, A53, and API 5L, which vary in terms of their composition, strength, and intended use.

4. What are the common uses of carbon steel pipe?

Carbon steel pipe is used in a wide range of industries and applications, including construction, oil and gas, automotive, and manufacturing. It is commonly used for transporting fluids and gases, as well as for structural support and machinery components.

5. How do you maintain and care for carbon steel pipe?

To maintain and care for carbon steel pipe, it is important to regularly inspect and clean it to prevent corrosion. It is also important to handle and store the pipe properly to avoid damage. Additionally, applying a protective coating or paint can help prolong the lifespan of the pipe.