Reducing Boolean Expressions: Axioms and Simplification Techniques

In summary, The conversation revolved around a simplification problem where the expression A(B+C)+B'D+C'D' was discussed. The participants realized that the (B+C) term was redundant and could be removed, resulting in the expression A+B'D+C'D'. The conversation then shifted to the use of axioms in proving this simplification. One participant provided a helpful hint for proving that B'C' lies in B'D+C'D'.
deathprog23
I have been stumped by a simplification problem - well, I can solve it, but I'm not sure how to do it axiomatically!

The expression is A(B+C)+B'D+C'D'

I can see that the (B+C) is redundant in the first term - if A is true, the whole is true regardless of (B+C)'s value. So it reduces to A+B'D+C'D'

What axioms are used in the proof of this? Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi deathprog23! :smile:

Hint: you need to prove that B'C' lies in B'D+C'D' :wink:

tiny-tim said:
Hi deathprog23! :smile:

Hint: you need to prove that B'C' lies in B'D+C'D' :wink:

Nice hint! I got it now, thanks very much :)

Related to Reducing Boolean Expressions: Axioms and Simplification Techniques

What is a Boolean expression?

A Boolean expression is a statement that evaluates to either true or false. It is commonly used in computer programming to make decisions based on certain conditions.

What is Boolean expression reduction?

Boolean expression reduction is the process of simplifying a complex Boolean expression into its most basic form. This is done by applying different logical operations, such as AND, OR, and NOT, to reduce the number of terms in the expression.

Why is Boolean expression reduction important?

Boolean expression reduction is important because it makes expressions easier to read and understand, and it can also improve the efficiency of a program. It also helps to identify any errors or inconsistencies in the expression.

What are the common techniques used for Boolean expression reduction?

Some common techniques used for Boolean expression reduction include the use of truth tables, algebraic manipulation, Karnaugh maps, and De Morgan's laws. These techniques help to simplify the expression and make it easier to work with.

What are some tips for reducing Boolean expressions effectively?

Some tips for reducing Boolean expressions effectively include breaking down the expression into smaller parts, using the appropriate logical operations, and looking for patterns or similarities in the expression. It is also important to double-check the final simplified expression to ensure its accuracy.