Reducibility tensor product representation

In summary, the conversation discusses constructing a tensor product representation of a group G on vector spaces V and W, and the question of whether this representation is reducible or irreducible. The answer cannot be determined without further conditions, and for linear groups there is a theorem that states irreducibility can be determined based on the dominant weight of the representation. The generality of the question makes it difficult to provide a definite answer without more specific information.
Yoran91
Hello everyone,

Say I have two irreducible representations [itex]\rho[/itex] and [itex]\pi[/itex] of a group [itex]G[/itex] on vector spaces [itex]V[/itex] and [itex]W[/itex]. Then I construct a tensor product representation
[itex]\rho \otimes \pi : G\to \mathrm{GL}\left(V_1 \otimes V_2\right)[/itex]
by
[itex]\left[\rho \otimes \pi \right] (g) v\otimes w = \rho (g) v \otimes \pi (g) w [/itex].

I now wish to know whether or not this representation is reducible or irreducible. If it cannot be determined, then I wish to know what further conditions imply reducibility or irreducibility. However, I have not been able to find an answer to this anywhere. Can anyone provide some insight?

Thanks for any help.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I cannot imagine that (in general) irreducibility will be conserved. The new components could lie somehow diagonal in ##V\otimes W##. For linear groups there is e.g. a theorem which says: If ##\lambda## is a dominant weight according to a maximal torus of ##G##, that is all coefficients of ##\lambda## are non-negative, then there is an irreducible ##G## module of highest weight ##\lambda##.

See: James E. Humphreys, Linear Algebraic Groups.

Your question is in its generality too broad to be answered as it depends on unknowns as which groups, or which fields.

Related to Reducibility tensor product representation

1. What is a reducibility tensor product representation?

A reducibility tensor product representation is a mathematical concept used in the study of group representations. It involves decomposing a composite representation into a direct sum of irreducible representations, which are representations that cannot be further decomposed.

2. How is the reducibility tensor product representation used in physics?

In physics, the reducibility tensor product representation is used to describe the behavior of physical systems with multiple degrees of freedom. It allows for the study of how these systems transform under different symmetries, such as rotations and translations.

3. What are the benefits of using the reducibility tensor product representation?

The reducibility tensor product representation allows for a more efficient and elegant way of studying group representations. It simplifies the analysis of complex systems by breaking them down into smaller, more manageable parts.

4. Can you give an example of a reducibility tensor product representation?

One example of a reducibility tensor product representation is the decomposition of the three-dimensional rotation group into irreducible representations. This allows for the study of the behavior of physical systems under different rotations in three-dimensional space.

5. How does the reducibility tensor product representation relate to other mathematical concepts?

The reducibility tensor product representation is closely related to other mathematical concepts such as representation theory, group theory, and tensor products. It is used in the study of Lie algebras, quantum mechanics, and other areas of mathematics and physics.