Reduce the amount of kinetic energy loss in a collision

In summary, to reduce the amount of kinetic energy loss in the collision between the moving marble and the still one, you could use two tubes as a track to minimize friction and ensure a head-on collision. Additionally, you could potentially place a thin piece of rubber between the marbles or add a third marble in between to reverse any backspin.
fdajkffk
I have a lab in which a moving marble collides with a still one. What changes could I make to reduce the amount of kinetic energy loss in the collision? The track for the marbles is a piece of card stock paper.

I was thinking:
-Use two tubes as a track which will reduce the amount of friction on the marble and prevent a glancing collision.

How would I eliminate energy loss to sound and heat? Any ideas?
Any other ideas for reducing ek loss as well?

Physics news on Phys.org
I assume that the objective is to transfer as much energy as possible to the second marble, rather than to minimise the energy lost. I.e., you don't care about energy retained by the first marble. So yes, ensuring the collision is head-on is good.
Would it be possible to put something between the marbles? E.g. a thin piece of rubber, maybe from a superball? The downside of that is the high friction, so you might need another (hard) layer either side of the rubber with low friction.
Another possibility is to put a third marble in between, touching the stationary one. The theory behind this is that when a rolling ball strikes a stationary one it tends to impart backspin. The extra marble in the middle will reverse the spin.

Related to Reduce the amount of kinetic energy loss in a collision

What is kinetic energy loss in a collision?

Kinetic energy loss in a collision is the amount of energy that is converted into other forms, such as heat or sound, during a collision between two or more objects. This loss of energy can result in a decrease in the overall speed and momentum of the objects involved in the collision.

Why is it important to reduce kinetic energy loss in a collision?

Reducing kinetic energy loss in a collision can help prevent damage to objects and injuries to individuals involved in the collision. It can also improve the efficiency of systems, such as vehicles, by minimizing energy waste.

What factors affect the amount of kinetic energy loss in a collision?

The amount of kinetic energy loss in a collision is affected by several factors, including the mass, speed, and elasticity of the objects involved in the collision. The angle and direction of the collision can also play a role.

How can we reduce kinetic energy loss in a collision?

There are several ways to reduce kinetic energy loss in a collision. Some methods include using materials that are more elastic, increasing the distance over which the collision occurs, and minimizing the angle and direction of impact. Additionally, implementing safety features such as airbags and crumple zones can help reduce the impact of collisions.

Are there any potential drawbacks to reducing kinetic energy loss in a collision?

While reducing kinetic energy loss in a collision can have many benefits, it may also have some drawbacks. For example, increasing the elasticity of materials involved in a collision could result in a more forceful rebound, potentially causing additional damage. Additionally, minimizing the angle and direction of impact may not always be possible in real-life scenarios.