Redox Reactions: Why Doesn't 1 M NaOH Spontaneously Reduce Hydronium?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of spontaneous reduction and the factors that affect it, specifically in the context of 1 M hydronium ion. The participants also touch on the differences between various reducing agents and how they can impact redox reactions.
Qube
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Which of the following does not spontaneously reduce 1 M hydronium ion?

Homework Equations

Spontaneous reduction: + E-zero value.

The Attempt at a Solution

The answer is 1 M NaOH. However, sodium is a very strong reducer. Why doesn't this reaction go spontaneously?

Physics news on Phys.org
And what are "the following", which you have not listed?

While sodium is a strong reducer, kitchen salt doesn't reduce my meals. Calcium is a strong reducer too, but despite being present in my bones, it doesn't reduce me to... something reduced. Can you think why?

I really have no clue. I've been looking at redox for the past twelve hours. An explanation would b highly appreciated!

But you do know the difference between metallic sodium (Na) and oxidized sodium (Na+) in a compound?

Last edited:
Oh ... Ones not a good reducer

Related to Redox Reactions: Why Doesn't 1 M NaOH Spontaneously Reduce Hydronium?

1. What is a redox reaction?

A redox reaction is a type of chemical reaction in which one or more reactants undergo oxidation (loss of electrons) while another reactant undergoes reduction (gain of electrons). This results in the transfer of electrons between the reactants, leading to the formation of new products.

2. How is a redox reaction different from other types of reactions?

Unlike other types of reactions, such as acid-base or precipitation reactions, redox reactions involve the transfer of electrons between reactants. This transfer of electrons is what drives the reaction and leads to the formation of new products.

3. What is the role of 1 M NaOH in a redox reaction?

In a redox reaction, 1 M NaOH acts as an oxidizing agent, meaning it accepts electrons from the other reactants in the reaction. This results in the reduction of 1 M NaOH and the oxidation of the other reactants.

4. Why doesn't 1 M NaOH spontaneously reduce hydronium?

1 M NaOH does not spontaneously reduce hydronium because it is a strong oxidizing agent. This means that it readily accepts electrons from other substances, but does not easily give up its own electrons. In order for 1 M NaOH to reduce hydronium, external energy or a reducing agent would be needed.

5. Can redox reactions occur without the presence of 1 M NaOH?

Yes, redox reactions can occur without the presence of 1 M NaOH. Other substances, such as metals, can also act as oxidizing or reducing agents in redox reactions. Additionally, redox reactions can occur spontaneously without the need for a specific reagent, as long as the conditions are favorable for electron transfer.