Red Rope Tension: Does Wheel Movement Matter?

In summary, the tension in the red rope is 10 lbs if the wheel is not in motion, and 10 lbs if the rope is cut.
jjiimmyy101
If you take the wheel as your system, would the tension in the red rope be 10 lbs also? pic attached

thanks

Attachments

• tension.JPG
    tension.JPG
    6.1 KB · Views: 385
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
the picture is pending approval, however, I might be able to give some help.

On a pully, the tension is equal to:

Tension=mg-ma
The m is the mass of the block only.
The a is the acceleration, which is NET FORCE/TOTAL MASS. If you have two masses pulling in two different directions, get the NET force of the system by F=(m2-m1)a. Then, get total mass by adding the masses. For the acceleration, a=net force/total mass.

Now, for the tension, isolate the system to just the rope and block. T=the weight of the block minus acceleration of the system times the mass of the block. T=mg-ma

the picture is up

If the red rope is attached at the bottom, as it appears, then the tension would be zero. Think about it - which way will the force from the brown rope cause the wheel to turn, and which way will the point at which the red rope is attached be moving?

thanks for the replies

The wheel is turning to the left...so if i understand, the external force of the red rope would be zero, but if we were to cut the rope, there would be an internal force of 10 lbs? Or am I just crazy for thinking this? :confused:

If the wheel is not in motion, the red rope would have to exert the same amount of force on the wheel as the brown one, that means 10 lb. If the rope was cut, then the wheel would be rolling towards the left, accelerating at about 100m/s^2.

So when its in motion the tension in the red rope is zero

Also, when I said
but if we were to cut the rope, there would be an internal force of 10 lbs?

I was talking about when we analyze the whole system. When I said "cut" I didn't mean it literally, I was just talking about the analysis of the system. I should have been more clear about that. My apologies.

Related to Red Rope Tension: Does Wheel Movement Matter?

1. What is "Red Rope Tension" and why does wheel movement matter?

Red Rope Tension is a term used to describe the tension of a climbing rope when it is attached to a belay device. Wheel movement refers to the movement of the rope through the belay device's wheel as the climber ascends or descends. The tension and movement of the rope are important factors in ensuring the climber's safety and proper use of the belay device.

2. How does wheel movement affect the tension of the red rope?

Wheel movement can affect the tension of the red rope by either increasing or decreasing it. When the climber ascends, the rope moves through the belay device's wheel, creating more tension in the red rope. When the climber descends, the rope moves in the opposite direction, decreasing the tension in the red rope. It is important for the belayer to be aware of this movement and adjust their grip on the rope accordingly to maintain the right amount of tension.

3. Can excessive wheel movement lead to accidents?

Yes, excessive wheel movement can lead to accidents. If the belayer is not paying attention to the wheel movement and does not adjust their grip on the rope, there is a risk of the rope becoming too loose or too tight. This can result in the climber falling unexpectedly or not being able to move freely, causing discomfort or even injury.

4. How can I control the wheel movement while belaying?

To control the wheel movement while belaying, it is important to maintain a proper grip on the rope. The belayer should use their brake hand to hold the rope in place, while their guide hand feeds the rope through the belay device's wheel. As the climber moves, the belayer should adjust their grip accordingly to keep the rope at the desired tension level.

5. Is there a recommended amount of wheel movement for optimal red rope tension?

There is no specific recommended amount of wheel movement for optimal red rope tension as it can vary depending on the climber's weight, the type of belay device, and personal preference. It is important for the belayer to communicate with the climber and make adjustments as needed to maintain a safe and comfortable level of tension in the red rope.