Recycling of gas and other materials in galaxies

In summary, the conversation discusses the book "Intelligent Life in the Universe" by S. Sagan and I.S. Shklovskii which discusses the role of intense magnetic fields in channeling interstellar gas and dust into the spiral arms of a galaxy where star formation occurs. The person is looking for more sources that delve into the details of galactic magnetic fields and their impact on the circulation of gaseous material in the galaxy. They also inquire about any more recent books on the subject. A search for "galactic magnetic fields" on arxiv.org yields over a thousand results for further information.
H2Bro
Hello,

I am reading a fabulous (though somewhat older book) called "Intelligent life in the Universe" by s. Sagan and I.S. Shklovskii. They describe intense magnetic fields extending from the galactic core that channel interstellar gas and dust into the spiral arms which are the primary site of star formation.

I'm looking for more sources that describe in more detail galactic magnetic fields and their implications for the large-scale circulation of gaseous material in the galaxy. I would think gasses and other elements thrown off at non-relativistic velocities in supernovae/star dying events are captured by galactic magnetic fields and channeled back into the spiral arms where another generation of stars may form.

Any materials or info you folks know of that could expand on this topic is appreciated!

(also if you know of a more recent book similar in scope and subject to "Intelligent life in the Universe" do mention it. It was written in 1963 and I'm sure there is much to be added).

Astronomy news on Phys.org

Related to Recycling of gas and other materials in galaxies

1. What is the importance of recycling gas and other materials in galaxies?

The recycling of gas and other materials is crucial for the sustainability of galaxies. It allows for the formation of new stars and planets, which are essential for the continuation of life. Additionally, it helps regulate the chemical composition of galaxies, maintaining the necessary balance for the existence of life.

2. How does recycling occur in galaxies?

In galaxies, recycling occurs through a process called "galactic fountains." This process involves the ejection of gas and other materials from dying stars, which then mix with the surrounding interstellar medium and eventually fall back into the galaxy. This cycle of ejection and reabsorption allows for the continuous recycling of materials.

3. Can recycling in galaxies lead to the creation of new elements?

Yes, recycling in galaxies can lead to the creation of new elements through nuclear fusion. When gas and other materials are recycled and enter the core of a star, the extreme pressure and temperature can cause fusion reactions, leading to the formation of new elements.

4. How does the rate of recycling differ among galaxies?

The rate of recycling varies among galaxies, depending on their size and mass. Smaller galaxies tend to have a higher recycling rate due to their lower gravitational pull, which allows for more gas and materials to escape and be recycled. In contrast, larger galaxies have a lower recycling rate due to their stronger gravitational pull, which can hold onto gas and materials more effectively.

5. What are the potential consequences of a disrupted recycling process in galaxies?

If the recycling process is disrupted in galaxies, it can have significant consequences for the formation and sustainability of life. Without the continuous recycling of materials, the chemical composition of galaxies can become imbalanced, potentially leading to the extinction of existing life forms. It can also hinder the formation of new stars and planets, limiting the potential for future life to emerge.