Recursive function, diff under the integral sign

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a continuous function and a recursive function. The goal is to prove that the recursive function follows a specific form. The hint given is to use induction. The conversation also mentions using differentiation under the integral sign. The conversation ends with a discussion on how to differentiate the recursive function.
heinerL
Hey

i stumbled over a problem which i can't solve:

f is a continuous function on [a,b] and F_n is recursive given through:

[tex]F_1(x)=\int_a^x f(t) \ dt[/tex]
and
[tex]F_{n+1}=\int_a^x F_n(t) \ dt[/tex]

I have to proof that F_n looks like this:

[tex]F_n(x)=\frac{1}{(n-1)!}\int_a^x (x-t)^{n-1} f(t) \ dt[/tex]

For n=1 it's no big deal but then i have no clue. I think it must have something to do with differentiation under the integral sign because that's where i found it.

Hope anybody can help me! thx

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Hint: Use induction. You have the base case since "For n=1 it's no big deal."

;)

actually i used induction but for n+1 I am stuck:

n=1:
[tex]\frac{1}{0!} \int_a^x (x-t)^{1-1} f(t) \ dt = \int_a^x f(t) \ dt[/tex]

n=n+1
[tex]\frac{1}{(n+1-1)!} \int_a^x (x-t)^{n+1-1} f(t) \ dt = \frac{1}{n!}\int_a^x (x-t)^{n} f(t) \ dt[/tex]

Since you found this under differentiation under the sign, don't you think you should be doing that?

sure which i did:

[tex]\frac{dF_{n+1}}{dx}=\cdots =\frac{1}{(n-1)!}\int_a^x (x-t)^(n-1) f(t) \ dt[/tex]

but if i look at how F_n+1 is defined i should get:

[tex]F_n+1=\int_a^x F_n(t) \ dt= \int_a^x \frac{1}{(n-1)!}*\int_a^t (t-t)^{n-1} f(t) \ dt = \int_a^x \frac{1}{(n-1)!}[/tex]

First, what is [itex]F_{n+1}(x)[/itex] given

[tex]F_n(x)=\frac{1}{(n-1)!}\int_a^x (x-t)^{n-1} f(t) \ dt[/tex]

(Just rewrite with [itex]n\to n+1[/itex]).

Now try both differentiations again. In particular, what is [tex]\frac{dF_{n+1}(x)}{dx}[/tex] given
  1. The formulation of [itex]F_{n+1}(x)[/itex] from the above, and
  2. [tex]F_{n+1}=\int_a^x F_n(t)\, dt[/tex]

i'm sorry i have absolutly no idea, :-(

i thought I did the n->n+1 and the differentiation correct.

Try doing what I asked you to do in post #6, and be explicit in your steps. You skipped over a lot of steps, so it is hard to say where you went wrong.

So here's what i did:

[tex]F_n(x)=\\frac{1}{(n-1)!}\\int_a^x (x-t)^{n-1} f(t) \\ dt [/tex]

so n+1:
[tex]\frac{1}{(n+1-1)!} \\int_a^x (x-t)^{n+1-1} f(t) \\ dt = \\frac{1}{n!}\\int_a^x (x-t)^{n} f(t) \\ dt [/tex]

then [tex]\frac{dF_{n+1}(x)}{dx}[/tex] :

[tex]\frac{1}{n!} \int_a^x \frac{d}{dx} f(t) (x-t)^n dt - f(a)(x-a)^n \frac{d}{dx}(a)+0^n f(x) \frac{d}{dx}(x) = \frac{1}{n!} \int_a^x n*(x-t)^{n-1} f(t) dt = \frac{1}{(n-1)!} \int_a^x (x-t)^(n-1)f(t) dt[/tex]

heinerL said:
So here's what i did:
That needs some help.

Ahh! You are using a lot of double backslashes.

[tex]F_n(x)=\frac{1}{(n-1)!}\int_a^x (x-t)^{n-1} f(t) \ dt [/tex]

so n+1:
[tex]\frac{1}{(n+1-1)!} \int_a^x (x-t)^{n+1-1} f(t) \ dt = \frac{1}{n!}\int_a^x (x-t)^{n} f(t) \ dt [/tex]
What are you trying to do here, and how does the second line follow from the first?

Please try following my suggestions in post #6.

Related to Recursive function, diff under the integral sign

1. What is a recursive function?

A recursive function is a function that calls itself repeatedly until it reaches a specific base case. This allows the function to solve larger problems by breaking them down into smaller, simpler problems.

2. How does a recursive function work?

A recursive function works by calling itself with a smaller input each time, until it reaches a base case that does not require the function to call itself again. The function then returns the value of the base case, and the previous calls to the function can use that value to solve the original problem.

3. What is the purpose of using recursion in programming?

Recursion is often used in programming because it allows for a more elegant and concise solution to certain problems. It also allows for the creation of efficient algorithms for tasks such as searching, sorting, and traversing complex data structures.

4. How is recursion used in calculating derivatives under the integral sign?

Recursion is used in this context to repeatedly apply the chain rule, which is a fundamental rule in calculus for calculating derivatives. The process of taking derivatives under the integral sign can involve multiple applications of the chain rule, and using recursion allows for a more efficient and organized approach.

5. What are the potential drawbacks of using recursive functions?

One potential drawback of using recursive functions is that they can be less efficient than iterative solutions, as they require multiple function calls and can result in a larger call stack. Additionally, if the base case is not properly defined, the function may continue to call itself indefinitely, causing a stack overflow and resulting in a runtime error.